Subject: Is money secret or open? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
A third of the way into our first game we realized one of the players was keeping his money secret. Which then led to a debate about it, and it is not mention either way in the rules. We decided to go with hidden and it worked out well and added a bit to the auctions and end game not knowing exactly who was ahead. I would however like to know the way this is supposed to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

hide the money!

IMO, it makes no sense to show your money if you would like to auction a share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It is a trackable info, so we'd play it openly visible. Unless you want to add a memory element to the game (or prefer to deliberately not track it, even if that's like saying you accept to play depriving yourself of an info).

This question, in the general form ("do you show trackable info or do you require it to be tracked (from those able and willing to do so)?"), is usually answered in either way depending on your opinion (and those of your mates) on the subject (it is not as if a "right answer" exists, it's just how you do enjoy playing).

Have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played with open money, since we use poker chips instead of the paper money. I don't think it matters much, but I prefer open money. Of course, that allows things like "how much money you have left?" "12" "I bid 12", but I don't see it being a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Money is open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

John Bohrer wrote:

Money is open.

wups, really?! If you say so...

We will try it next time but i think the auctions are much less exciting with open money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust the folks at Winsome...money holdings are very important in this game, and having access to that information allows many informed decisions in phases beyond the auction itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
d0gb0t wrote:

There are many key decisions in the game which are critically informed by knowing exactly how much money each player has at a particular time. Leaving money closed would either force the players to track or to play notably badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

clearclaw wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:

There are many key decisions in the game which are critically informed by knowing exactly how much money each player has at a particular time. Leaving money closed would either force the players to track or to play notably badly.

so we maybe play the game notably badly every time...

We had a lot of fun every time we play it (espacially the auctions) but we will play it "right" next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Exactly. Here's how it goes when we're playing a game with trackable information but with people who insist on hiding their money.
"Excuse me a moment while I write down and keep track of everything, oh and this may tack on an hour to our game..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rion,

d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

hide the money!

I only told you how we play it and how we understand rules and game. Play it like we other guys answered here, they know what they say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with open money on Thursday, and it made the auctions STINK! It was a 6 player game and basically the person with the most money would buy the share each time for exactly what he needed to pay to win the auction. Since the money is not used for anything else except buying shares (until the endgame), and without shares you won't get any income, there was no incentive to save your money (until the endgame, when those in the lead stopped buying shares).

But since money is trackable, simply hiding money doesn't completely solve the problem. What is needed is for the money to have some other use in the early/midgame that makes it worth conserving.

It reminded me of Colosseum which has a similar auction system that basically doesn't work very well - the person with the most money wins the auction they need since money is pretty much only used for the auctions. Then they get the biggest income in the next round.

Edit: It's possible we weren't playing very well of course, because most of us were new. But the guy who had played it a lot got HOSED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Fältman
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
Red Sonic Underwear
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
We played with open money on Thursday, and it made the auctions STINK! It was a 6 player game and basically the person with the most money would buy the share each time for exactly what he needed to pay to win the auction. Since the money is not used for anything else except buying shares (until the endgame), and without shares you won't get any income, there was no incentive to save your money (until the endgame, when those in the lead stopped buying shares).

Since the one with the most money can always buy a share if they want to, just like you say, maybe that is incentive enough not to spend all your money? If you have no money left you can't prevent other players from getting even cheaper shares...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Kovacs wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

Since the one with the most money can always buy a share if they want to, just like you say, maybe that is incentive enough not to spend all your money? If you have no money left you can't prevent other players from getting even cheaper shares...

With six players there's always someone with some money. The amount of money you would have left after buying a share is never going to be enough to buy another share. And if you don't have shares you have no income. About the only strategy I could see was NOT bidding on an auction, waiting for an auction you wanted more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be why two-thirds of voters say Chicago Express is "not recommended" with 6 players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
This may be why two-thirds of voters say Chicago Express is "not recommended" with 6 players...

Aaaahhhh ... yes ... I think I will be adding my vote to that ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
With 6 players the bigger question is what is auctioned & in what order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep money closed..haven't tried it open.

Something that my group does is allows players to bid more money than they have to press into someone else's profits but if they get caught doing it, they have forfeited their chance at winning..but still have to play to win.

It hasn't happened where everyone passed and they didn't have the money yet. It's just an option. One of my friends passed a littler early because he didn't think I had as much money as I was bidding. (he had a lot but I had more) It was more bidding bravado at that point. Having two shares of the red company is pretty beast though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls