Subject: Is it worth playing with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi geeks,

simple question: Is it worth to play this game with (only) 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutly worth it. It plays just as fun with two and each player can always select more than one investigator if you choose. Its one of the reasons I bought it to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Fältman
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
Red Sonic Underwear
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say so. That was the main reason I got mine (to play with my wife) and I don't believe I will play it much with more than two, I have too many other great games to play with more people.

Since it is a cooperation game (not a category of games I usually like to play since they usually end up with one person telling the others what to do) it doesn't really change with the number of players.

I'd recommend to play with a total of four investigators though (two each).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamestown Pansies
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is. A friend and I play two player with two investigators each and we really enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play two players, I'd recommend running two investigators each. It can be easy to have events spin out of control very, very easily with only two running around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in with another yes. I also recommend using two investigators each, as if one is having a bad time you can use the other to help out a bit and it gives you a bit of flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi geeks,

simple question: Is it worth to play this game with (only) 2 players?

Yes, it is (I've played it many times, with two characters each).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Andelloux
United States
Nantucket
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hipster Eye of Providence says: I was an all seeing disembodied eye before Peter Jackson made it cool.
badge
Don't move, I've lost my contact lens!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of a bias
As I work quite a bit, I don't have a regular gaming group. So though it makes me biased in my answer, I will say having only EVER played it with two people, I still love this game. The theme is fantastic and carries over well with two as I'm sure it would work for four or more. Don't hesitate to give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hudson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer it this way actually. My wife an I will play two characters each and we keep it fast because as you know, it can take a very long time defeat the Arkham Horror!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, yes it is worth playing with 2 players. I also feel it is worth playing solo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, oh god yes. Its amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

many thanks for your answers. I will try it as soon as possible...

But, another question came up:

I own Pandemic and find it funny. But it's not very "deep". Talk a little bit with the other players, move to a city, remove some cubes, try t cure...

...plays AH similar? Or is it more complex? I hope so (only due to the playing time) but i would like to hear your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woods
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering any number of players (up to 8) can play with one or more investigators at a time, absolutely.

It's a different kind of vibe with 1, 2 or more than 2 players but that's mostly social; it has little if any effect on gameplay. How many people you want to play with says more about teh player than it does the game, and none of those things are bad. Each has its own qualities and attractions. I play this game solo a lot, but that's not because the game is best played solo; it's because I want to play this game as often as I feel like playing and don't want to have to set time aside to do it, waiting for other people to make time. Fortunately, the game is designed so that you get the same game no matter how many people play it, and I say this as someone who frequently plays the solo game with only one investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays great with 2. There are a lot more options to consider than in Pandemic, so there's a lot more to talk about. That's one of the reasons Arkham can take 4 hours sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go so far as to says its worth it to play with just one player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Pandemic not in the least similar to Arkham Horror, other than the basics of being co-op. Or rather, I find AH far more immersive.

Pandemic (which I admit I've only played once) had a certain amount of tension, but I always found myself thinking in terms of components: I have two red cards, how can I get them to Mary, who's got three? Uh, oh, too many red cubes over there, get rid of some! I didn't dislike it, but it could just have easily been a game about collecting chatchkes from around the world, or, oh, farming. Or something.

In AH, I'm looking at streets clogged with monsters, trying to figure out how to get to church (or hospital, or asylum) alive, trying to keep the world from being devoured. Part of it is the gorgeous, thematic bits, but really, this is one game where theme is just ingrained in almost every mechanic. It feels as though the universe is conspiring against you.

It's not for everyone, and the learning curve can be steep. (Best taught by someone who knows it; second best -- check out the files section here for some of the most awesome player aids and flowcharts ever designed. Better yet -- do both.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.