Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you can only move up if the levels are less than your unit size but the example they give specifies movement points in comparison to unit size (height limit example page 10). Can a size 4 unit move up a maximum of 3 elevation levels or move up a maximum of 3 movement points (which would be 2 elevation levels)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
The rules say you can only move up if the levels are less than your unit size but the example they give specifies movement points in comparison to unit size (height limit example page 10). Can a size 4 unit move up a maximum of 3 elevation levels or move up a maximum of 3 movement points (which would be 2 elevation levels)?

A size 4 unit can move up a max of 3 elevation levels to an adjacent hex. They also must not exceed their movement allowance, but that's a separate consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I frequently get this mixed up as well, and I agree that the example in the rules doesn't really fit the rule statement itself. A simpler way to state the rule might be to say that a figure must be taller than any ledge they're attempting to climb. Which kind of makes sense. So a Height 4 fig could indeed climb up 3 levels (at a cost of 4 MP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That clears it up, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
From the Version 1 Rules

Height limit: A figure cannot move up a number of levels higher than its Height number all at once. See Example 6.

[Example 6 shows a Marro Warrior with Height 4 not able to move up a 5 level change using its 6 movement.]

So the example was appropriate to the ruling.

For the 2nd Edition Rules they changed this - reducing the height limit so a figure could not move up a numnber of levels "equal to" or higher than the height number of the figure. But, if I remember correctly, they kept the same example photo which made things much less than clear. (Despite an overall good set of rules - this point, even in the Version 1 Rules, could have been written much more clearly.) With two different versions of the rule, and reusing the example as is, it is no wonder this ends up causing confusion.

BTW: I believe that the new "marro" starter set has changed the example to better match the new ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
I frequently get this mixed up as well, and I agree that the example in the rules doesn't really fit the rule statement itself. A simpler way to state the rule might be to say that a figure must be taller than any ledge they're attempting to climb. Which kind of makes sense. So a Height 4 fig could indeed climb up 3 levels (at a cost of 4 MP).

And if he would have a height of 3 he would not br allowed to move up there in your example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.