Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game for Christmas. I thought it was strange there was no red 'new city' tiles, but whatever.

My question is ( i did search and didn't find the answer), what do/can you do with goods cubes that start off in a city that matches it's colour? Example, we had 2 red good cubes in New York. There are only 2 other red cities on the map. Does that mean unless they can be delivered to Chicago or Charleston in 1 turn, those goods are pretty much stuck on New York for the entire game? From what I gather from the rules, I can not leave New York and then return those good back to New York, so really, delivering them to the other 2 cities seems like the only available option since there are no red new city tiles to use in urbanizing grey cities.

Also, what is the reasoning behind there being no red new city tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red cubes are supposed to be the "rare" goods. There aren't many places to deliver them, hence the lack of red cities, and the unavailability of creating them. This is intentional. The red cities are spaced far apart, so you can often times get big deliveries for them. I'm sure someone else can give you a more thematic rationale.

If goods start in the city of the same color, they cannot be delivered there. Sometimes this can mean certain colors are worth more (or less) than others. You have to factor this in when deciding which cities to build to and from.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. If cubes start in a city of their own color then they need to be transported to another city of their color. So, a red cube in New York must be transported to either Charleston or Chicago to score points.

As to why no Red cities for development, I assume this was simply a design decision. If there were Red development cities it would make the Western Link pretty much useless, for one. Imagine building it only to have somebody plop down a Red tile between you and Chicago cutting down the links to as low as one and also making it useless for the dual purpose of adding cubes to Chicago. Also I assume thematically that Red is beef and Chicago and New York were major centers of the beef industry (and I suppose Charleston was as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Michael summed it up pretty well. Red cubes should not be "stuck" but should be more difficult to deliver giving a bigger payoff. In order to deliver them, you will either need to complete a long track (not wise) or upgrade your engine so that you can move mulitple links in one turn (better option).

As for a thematic explantion, Reds are the big cities. So urbanizing a city to a different color is possible in the setting of the game but getting it to the level of a Chicago or New York is not possible. That's why there are no red "new city" markers.

As for the goods, consider them "finer" items that only have value in the big cities, like grand pianos or chandeliers or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent. thank you so much for your responses. It's just as I thought. This game is cool. It's too bad about the board quality but I can live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Michael summed it up pretty well. Red cubes should not be "stuck" but should be more difficult to deliver giving a bigger payoff. In order to deliver them , you will either need to complete a long track (not wise) or upgrade your engine so that you can move mulitple links in one turn (better option).

As for a thematic explantion, Reds are the big cities. So urbanizing a city to a different color is possible in the setting of the game but getting it to the level of a Chicago or New York is not possible. That's why there are no red "new city" markers.

AS for the goods, consider them finer items that only have value int eh big cities, like grand pianos or chadeliers or something.

Well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mb
Red represents export goods: goods with (principally European) markets that required some manufacturing or refinement before export. These manufacturing centres were generally only in the major port cities. Hence Chicago (via St. Laurence river); New York; Charleston. I think the idea is that you can't just build a massive port city by investing in it; it needs a natural harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add: Chicago was a gateway for the wealth of the West to the cites of the East. Since it was a major rail hub, it evolved into a processing/ manufacturing center for Cattle (Stockyards), Iron and Coal (Steel Plants), Wheat and Corn, and finished goods of all kinds. The massive quantities of these goods flowing Eastward and the flood of people flowing Westward was the lifeblood of the American westward expansion and industrial explosion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently started playing when you're moving a cube along a link and it takes more then 1 turn to get the cube there can it stop over at any color city as long as you move it along next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzinc wrote:
I just recently started playing when you're moving a cube along a link and it takes more then 1 turn to get the cube there can it stop over at any color city as long as you move it along next turn?

It never takes more than 1 turn to move a cube. If your engine can't move it the full distance in a single turn, you can't move it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of the cubes as 'contracts to move goods' rather than particular items. There is a demand to make those long shipments from New York to Chicago (or whatever),but it only becomes possible once the big engines arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.