United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I only get Battle of the Titans (the expansion) then will I have only some of the ships?
What are all the differences between the main boosters (axis of evil), and the Battle of the Titans?
Some GG for the person who answers first.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rody
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question as completely as possible without weighing you down with too many details, the main differences between the two releases involve the following areas.

1.) Different factions. The inital set seemed to concentrate on the inner solar system and those factions (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars). The Battle of the Titans release expanded toward the middle of the system. The Titans release included factions from planets and moons like Saturn, Io and Ganymede. The inner systems were reinforced with new ship releases.

There were hints to what the never-to-be-released third expansion might contain. I surmise that the boys at Wiz Kids were expanding to the further reaches of our solar system and specifically mentioned pirates from the Uranus and Neptune locations.

2.) Ship modifications. In the inital offering (Axis of Evil), ships had lasers and shields as ship modifications. The Titans release opened up the game slightly by adding in Tractor Beams and torpedoes. Opinions vary on the effectiveness of these new mods.

3.) A new type of ship was added... resource gatherers called Harvesters. In order to bring in some of your other ships (reinforcemnets), you need to collect resources. Harvesters were designed to be the cargo-bearing U-Haul truck for those traveling in Zero gravity. This also created new scenario objectives should you be designing your own.

To answer your question more specifically, if you get the expansion only, you will have a decent selection of ships. You can play with just the expansion. However, if you like the game, then you will definitely want to get more ships and the crew from Axis of Evil to fill in the gaps and the story line. The meta-game changes slightly and the overall flavor of the game is enhanced.

Axis of Evil and Battle of the Ttans were designed to compliment each other and they appear to do that well. If you follow the storyline, you will wil see the "space opera" nature that Wiz Kids was attempting to define.

The good and bad part is that both sets are relatively inexpensive since Wiz Kids is no longer with us. (Good that entire boxes don't cost much and bad that these two releases are the end of the line). Being a fan, I would have enjoyed seeing more expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ronin7 was succinctly put and right on target. You'll definitely want to get both sets, although you can play with just the Titans. It has all the factions represented in fairly equal portions and you'll get the expansion races and updated rules. Regardless of which way you jump, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.