Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Three card ideas: soul, whore, clown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three card ideas: soul, whore, clown

SOUL [$0]
-Play this card first in hand.
-Trash this card.
-Gain any action card.
-Gain a curse card.

This is like selling your soul; if you make the deal, there is no backing out when the time comes. You can have anything you want, but it comes with a curse.

WHORE [$5]
-Gain an Estate card [1 victory point].
-Put this card on top of your deck.

This card will be dedicated to you; use it repeatedly until you find something better. It is great for a while, but will weigh you down and become a burden.

CLOWN [$4]
-Buyer immediately puts this card on top of someone’s deck.

This card does nothing and cannot be trashed. Furthermore, it is double sided so everyone can see it in someone’s hand and laugh at them.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xxeyes wrote:
SOUL [$0]
-Play this card first in hand.
-Trash this card.
-Gain any action card.
-Gain a curse card.

What does "play this card first in hand" mean and why bother having it? If it means something like, "If this is in your hand you must play it as soon as possible", that's difficult to enforce, and if people are going to buy a card they will probably want to play it anyway.

Quote:
(ahem) CONCUBINE [$5]
-Gain an Estate card [1 victory point].
-Put this card on top of your deck.

Too narrowly Gardens-decky.

Quote:
CLOWN [$4]
-Buyer immediately puts this card on top of someone’s deck.

This card does nothing and cannot be trashed. Furthermore, it is double sided so everyone can see it in someone’s hand and laugh at them.

Go full-potato! "When you Buy or play this card, put it on top of another player's deck. When this card is trashed, put this on top of the deck of the current player instead of the trash pile."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The whore card sounds like a really really crappy wporkshop that's costs even more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schachtelhalm
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer "Sycophant" instead of "Clown".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/385807
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my name selections for these cards are kind of crude. My goal was just to come up with some [hopefully] well balanced card ideas that match actions with card themes as effectively as the feast card does [trashing the card and getting a more expensive one in return is like consuming a good meal and enjoying a full stomach].

Quote:
What does "play this card first in hand" mean and why bother having it? If it means something like, "If this is in your hand you must play it as soon as possible", that's difficult to enforce, and if people are going to buy a card they will probably want to play it anyway.


What I mean there is that it must be played when it shows up in your hand, and it must be played first. It does not have a +1 action, so it will be the only action one is allowed to play for that hand. You're right, it would be difficult to enforce, I hadn't considered all the cheaters out there.

Quote:
The whore card sounds like a really really crappy wporkshop that's costs even more.


I find the workshop to be best at the beginning of the game. The whore card would only be good near the end of the game. The big difference is that one can use the card over and over with successive turns because it returns to the top of the deck after it is used.

Quote:
Go full-potato! "When you Buy or play this card, put it on top of another player's deck. When this card is trashed, put this on top of the deck of the current player instead of the trash pile."


I'm not sure I understand, but if you mean that the card can effectively be passed around, I considered that but ultimately thought it diminishes the advantage awarded to the person who initially buys the card, rendering it a pretty pointless purchase.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
(Lost) soul, whore and clown? You must be really debauched.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Soul": its feast for $0, plus you have to chapel away one more crappy card, which is pretty easy to do. Probably broken in any game with chapel or remodel.

"Whore": You can do this with workshop, but workshop is way cheaper. And workshop can also get you good cards.

"Clown": So we really needed to add a diplomacy card to the game?
Much better would be (imo): it puts a curse on top of each opponents deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Full-potato"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Soul": its feast for $0, plus you have to chapel away one more crappy card, which is pretty easy to do. Probably broken in any game with chapel or remodel.


Don't forget that the soul card also kills all other actions in your hand when you draw and consequently play it. I think that is a pretty significant downside, except in the early game I guess...but that is when curse cards are also the most annoying.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xxeyes wrote:
My goal was just to come up with some [hopefully] well balanced card ideas


Do not hope for balance, seek it through repeated playtesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
xxeyes wrote:
My goal was just to come up with some [hopefully] well balanced card ideas


Do not hope for balance, seek it through repeated playtesting.



You do realize this is an internet message board and not some tournament setting right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
xxeyes wrote:
My goal was just to come up with some [hopefully] well balanced card ideas


Do not hope for balance, seek it through repeated playtesting.


You do realize this is an internet message board and not some tournament setting right?


I don't see the problem, I tkink he's right. If you want something to play well, initially think of what is a good idea that might work and play test it!

What's wrong with passing on good advice?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I think Soul should be worth 5VP, and it just starts out in your beginning deck along with your coppers and estates. It can be trashed from your hand for any action card.

Having a soul makes it harder to do stuff (you have a conscience!) so you're less efficient, but there's a long-term reward for having one (when you die/game ends)

This adds a dilemma for those chapel decks who crave efficiency.

The curse idea isn't good because of it being easily remodeled away.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think Soul should be worth 5VP, and it just starts out in your beginning deck along with your coppers and estates. It can be trashed from your hand for any action card.


Interesting idea, I like it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.