Subject: Oil Resource Management in EotS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a PTO game, found EotS and, after reading some reviews and players' opinions, I have decided to give it a try.

While waiting for the game to arrive, I have downloaded the latest living rules. It is a thick brick for my aging brain but I expect to survive to the assimilation process

Skimming through the rules, I have noticed something. Other games like "Asia Engulfed", "Fire in The Sky" or even "A World At War" concede oil management a great importance and force the Japanese player keep track of his oil expenditures. I have not found such thing in "Empire of The Sun" and this is a question for the seasoned players, how this aspect is being taken into account in this excellent game.

Happy new year to all
Rafael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafael, Mark Herman just posted his thinking on this point (and others) over at the Consimworld folder for this game. Let me know if you have trouble locating it....

P.S. They also just completed a sample game that is quite instructive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warrafael wrote:
I was looking for a PTO game, found EotS and, after reading some reviews and players' opinions, I have decided to give it a try.

While waiting for the game to arrive, I have downloaded the latest living rules. It is a thick brick for my aging brain but I expect to survive to the assimilation process

Skimming through the rules, I have noticed something. Other games like "Asia Engulfed", "Fire in The Sky" or even "A World At War" concede oil management a great importance and force the Japanese player keep track of his oil expenditures. I have not found such thing in "Empire of The Sun" and this is a question for the seasoned players, how this aspect is being taken into account in this excellent game.

Happy new year to all
Rafael

Happy New Year... almost

EoTS does not use oil points as it is integrated into the cards, which are the logistics in the game. There are 14 resource hexes on the map, which are mostly the oil. The JP gets one card for each 2 resource hexes they control; minus strategic warfare results (US submarines and bombers). In addition the cards themselves control how many activations you get, so more cards more logistics (e.g., oil). You can download the cyberboard version of the game from my website and check out the map, counters, and cards while you wait for the hard copy to arrive.

I would just follow the illustrated example of play and follow the Offensive sequence of play literally (6.2). Enjoy and I'm around if you have any questions. I am over at CSW more often than here, but I check in around once a day.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot !
While BGG was down, I also discovered Mark's blog which is a goldmine of insights about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.