Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Heitler
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
I think I will love this game, but I am still confused by some things.

1. Communication. I get the principle, but I don't get the process at all. Each HQ has a field phone and a number of phone lines. But, who needs to have the phone in order to stay in contact? Does it stay with the HQ or does some lucky unit get to carry it (meaning that only one unit per HQ can be in contact and receive detailed orders each turn)?

2. For the phone lines, does a unit have to be on the same card or an adjacent card (with or without the phone) in order to be able to receive commands from its HQ?

3. Does simply carrying the line to the next card constitute laying it? Or do you have to actually leave the card before the benefit ensues?

4. Do the benefits of being in communication apply to all units on a card, even if they weren't in communication until the units with the needed phone line (or phone) moved there, and even if they belong to different platoons?

5. And PCs... When I read the rules I had the distinct impression that there would only ever be one PC marker per card. However, there are several situation that could result in more than one PC marker per card. For instance if the counter attack comes up and you have just moved to a card with a PC marker on it, or if an enemy units is not under fire and has no LOS to a US unit. So, was my initial impression wrong (it doesn't say anything specific that I can find) or can you indeed have several PC markers on a card?

6. According the to Enemy Defensive Activity Hierarchy table, when you have an enemy unit not under fire, and no LOS to a US unit, you remove the unit and place a PC marker. Is this a random marker or one in line with the PC markers set-up in the mission details?

7. Finally, it seems obvious, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Does the mission finish as soon as you have achieved your objectives? Or do you need to hold the objective cards (OBJ1, OBJ2 and AP) to the final turn? I am assuming that you finish as soon as the objectives are secure.

Many thanks in advance for any answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Communication. I get the principle, but I don't get the process at all. Each HQ has a field phone and a number of phone lines. But, who needs to have the phone in order to stay in contact? Does it stay with the HQ or does some lucky unit get to carry it (meaning that only one unit per HQ can be in contact and receive detailed orders each turn)?

- For BN TAC (CO HQ communication with BN HQ), the CO HQ needs the BN phone (or radio) chit in its CO HQ Asset box to talk to BN HQ. I am assuming when the BN Staff chit is on the map, that chit is considered to be the BN HQ itself and doesn't need a phone/radio chit (plus there is no Asset box for BN staff).
- For CO TAC (CO HQ communication with its CO Staff and Platoon leaders), each CO Staff and Platoon HQ Asset box must contain a CO Phone/Radio in its Asset box to be in communication with CO HQ.

Quote:
2. For the phone lines, does a unit have to be on the same card or an adjacent card (with or without the phone) in order to be able to receive commands from its HQ?

Non HQ units (i.e.Infantry units) must always be on the same card as the HQ giving them orders (excluding the use of runners and pyro of course), since those units themselves cannot carry phones/radios. Now HQ units carrying a phone allow communication with their higher HQ if they are anwhere on the same card or on any adjacent card. Now lets say a unit in communication via phone is adjacent to his higher HQ moves one card away. In doing so, a phone line is automatically laid on that card (assuming a unit carrying a phone line).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Heitler
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the tips.

So this seems to imply that you have to keep your platoon HQs moving with the platoon for maximum efficiency. And also, once a unit has moved from its HQ card, you can give it no more orders (except those from the general initiative draw - which I keep forgetting to do!).

Can you stack commands up? Say give a unit two commands - move to the next card and then seek cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jonh wrote:

Can you stack commands up? Say give a unit two commands - move to the next card and then seek cover?

My understanding is that you can't. The move command would be executed and then the unit would be out of command. It would then have to seek cover using a command from the general initiative draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No you can't stack up commands, sorry.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Heitler
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all. I think that much is clearer.

Any comments on numbers 5, 6 and 7 above?

Again this is much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jonh wrote:
5. And PCs... When I read the rules I had the distinct impression that there would only ever be one PC marker per card. However, there are several situation that could result in more than one PC marker per card. For instance if the counter attack comes up and you have just moved to a card with a PC marker on it, or if an enemy units is not under fire and has no LOS to a US unit. So, was my initial impression wrong (it doesn't say anything specific that I can find) or can you indeed have several PC markers on a card?

You take the "worst" marker and resolve it. So if you had an A and a B marker, you'd just resolve the A. You are correct that it is possible to get more than one PC marker on a card in exactly the situation you describe above, although I suspect there may be more ways to do this that I haven't run across yet. Yay, I knew the answer to one!

Quote:
6. According the to Enemy Defensive Activity Hierarchy table, when you have an enemy unit not under fire, and no LOS to a US unit, you remove the unit and place a PC marker. Is this a random marker or one in line with the PC markers set-up in the mission details?

That's another good question. As a corollary, I'd ask if 9.1.4 also suggests that you might place PC markers repeatedly over several turns - "This may take place over several turns as specified by the event." Specifically, if that happens in mission #1. Also, what happens if you draw a second counter-attack?

Quote:
7. Finally, it seems obvious, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Does the mission finish as soon as you have achieved your objectives? Or do you need to hold the objective cards (OBJ1, OBJ2 and AP) to the final turn? I am assuming that you finish as soon as the objectives are secure.

This is an excellent question, one that I was just wondering about myself. I would think that you have to continue to hold the objectives through ten turns, as a literal reading says that the mission lasts ten turns with no adjustment for meeting certain conditions, but then again these rules confound me at pretty much every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.