Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are tokens able to be used at any time or just during your turn?

For an example:

My wife moves her duck. I move my duck. I am behind so I move the birddog. I moved the birddog to a very good spot for myself and then play the "swap" token and place my duck where I had just moved the birddog.

Is that play legal? Or do I have to wait until my NEXT turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, each token has specific timing rules specified.

For example, the "swap" token rules say "Play just before you play your movement card".

So you can't do what you suggest... you have to wait until your next turn and swap just before you play your move card. (Most likely, the birddog will still be exactly where you left it and you can swap then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are tokens able to be used at any time or just during your turn?

Quote:
In the rulebook, each token has specific timing rules specified.

I think there is more to the question though.

We also wondered about this. It is true that some of the Action Token rules do specify timing (like in the particular example you gave), but others just say "Play at any time". For these, we've played that you can play it at any time during your turn. That seems intuitive for some of them, so we use that 'rule' for all of the ones that say "at any time".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only three "play at any time" types:

- Draw 3, discard 3: clearly, no problem doing this at any time, your turn, someone else's turn, whatever.

- Your Ducky bonks as if he were the bird dog: Clearly, you want to play it before you start moving, but no harm comes from playing it before then, in case someone else bonks into you before your turn.

- For the rest of the turn, pass through other duckies: Again, most useful before you move, but could be useful to be played before someone else moves, so that they pass through you, and you thus have a clear path to your goal.

I don't see any reason to limit these to your turn only, and I don't think that was the intention, given that they state exactly when to play other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could be right.

Quote:
- Draw 3, discard 3: clearly, no problem doing this at any time, your turn, someone else's turn, whatever.

Definitely agree this could be anytime.

Quote:
- Your Ducky bonks as if he were the bird dog: Clearly, you want to play it before you start moving, but no harm comes from playing it before then, in case someone else bonks into you before your turn.

I see your point on this one, as it could be useful even though you're not moving.

Quote:
- For the rest of the turn, pass through other duckies: Again, most useful before you move, but could be useful to be played before someone else moves, so that they pass through you, and you thus have a clear path to your goal.

Not so sure on this one, as it only refers to you passing through others' duckies - not them passing through yours. But maybe that's not intended to be different ...

Thanks for your interpretation. It certainly accords with the literal words 'at any time'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithnewz wrote:
Not so sure on this one, as it only refers to you passing through others' duckies - not them passing through yours. But maybe that's not intended to be different ...

It's the "even the bird dog!" reference at the end which makes me think that. Since mostly the bird dog moves after everyone else, almost all bird dog contact will be when it's moving, not the player.

It would be nice to get official rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It would be nice to get official rulings.

Yeah, now I'm intrigued. I'll ask at APE Games ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.