Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this from last week: I've been very happy with my Samsung ML-2510 compact B&W laser (full price: 120$) -- it's almost small and light enough to pass for an inkjet, although it uses a lot of current (lights flicker a bit and my UPS clicks when it's plugged in nearby). They run this B&W special pretty frequently. The 30% filled starter cartridge ran for quite a while (full ones cost under 90$). It has a nice open-front paper feed so you can easily change the stock/size.

The color CLP-315 (full price: 200$) is still pretty small and is light for a laser printer ("only" 25 lbs.), but has the same heavy amperage, and I don't much like the paper feed cartridge, which needs to be pulled out to change the stock. The specs say this comes with 70%-filled starters (1000 pages each). The toner costs 50$ each cartridge (X 3 colors + black).

As is fairly common now, the standard (A/B) USB printer cable needed isn't included with either, so it's up to 25$ for that if you don't have one already. Staples has free shipping for orders over 50$.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jonathan, that's good info. I've been looking at colour laser printers, and the Samsungs seem to be a good price. Have you tried printing heavier stock with this printer? It also looks like Staples is coming up, or already has, a wireless version of this same printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Thanks Jonathan, that's good info. I've been looking at colour laser printers, and the Samsungs seem to be a good price. Have you tried printing heavier stock with this printer? It also looks like Staples is coming up, or already has, a wireless version of this same printer.
Alas, they never discount the network-ready printers... I just set up (with some frustration) a wireless print server for this very purpose. A respondent to the earlier post mentioned that laser printers often go on sale at the end of the year, so it may not last...

About feed stock: the specs say tray-fed paper: 60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond); five-fed card stock/envelopes/transparencies: 60 to 163 g/m2 (16 to 43 lb bond). It warns to only use glossy paper specifically meant for laser printers, never glossy photo and inkjet paper (WHOOPS! I hope one sheet of semi-gloss won't kill it... this warning is probably common to all laser printers). Both this and the ML-2510 B&W handle index card stock with no problem.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Roberts
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I had a B&W Samsung laser printer a few years ago - paid about $70. The first toner cartridge didn't last long, maybe 200 pages? They sell them with low-capacity carts to begin with. Halfway through the replacement, higher-capacity toner cart, it stopped feeding paper properly and I got rid of it. Couldn't get the thing open to try and fix it.

Now I have a HP Laserjet 4 that I literally found on a streetcorner and refurbished with a new toner cart and about $60 in parts (paper outfeed mechanism), then later added an $15 ethernet card to put it on my home network. It's a great machine and I expect it to last forever.

The Samsungs are probably worth what you pay for them, so don't expect too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are laserjets that much higher quality than inkjet? Any other particular reason for the price premium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Are laserjets that much higher quality than inkjet? Any other particular reason for the price premium?
That's a good question... which I can't answer well because I do things for weird reasons! As far as I know, laser printers aren't generally called "laserjets," and "jets" are usually inkjets, so it's confusing that HP calls theirs that. Laser printers produce much crisper, professional-looking output on plain paper, with no smearing. (For a paper crafter like myself, a drawback is that a printed line will tend to flake if you fold or cut along it, so I spray a fixative on before doing so.) Photo inkjets produce considerably sharper output on photo paper (a photo printed by the CLP-315 resembles a newspaper photo, with visible dots), but their cartridges tend to dry out, especially if they are used infrequently. I wanted a sharper printer and was sick of the ink dying just when I needed it! Honestly, I don't know if I need it, but "it was a bargain!"

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Roberts
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I think the per-page costs of a laser printer tends to be lower than inkjet (considering costs of the printer and refills).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.