Subject: WHAT ABOUT THEM TREASURES. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having gathered dust on the attic for centuries, finally the heroquest was dug up yesterday.
My lads now have the right age and finally I've found someone who wants to play. HURRAAAH!!

We had some good fun, but there still were some things I couldn't really figure out. Like them treasure cards. Now I've read the rules several times but I can't really figure out what to do with them.
I understand special treasures get a mention in the scenarios (yes we only did nr. 1 the maze sofar) but what about these others.
From reading I get the impression that the first to look for treasure in a room automtically gets to draw a treasure card.

In our first, practise, game, it was decided we shouldn't bother with them cards, but I simply let them explore the rooms etc. to let them have an idea of how things work.
I also had them play with the non magical heroes, so no magic was involved either. Just to keep things easy for now.
We may make things more complicated next time.

As said we really enjoyed the game, allthough, me being 'the evil one' HUHAHAHAHAAAAA (insane laughter) it sort of annoyed me how easy my impressive monsters were bumped off.

My orcs only have on live-point, so are easily killed.
Allthough after a bad role of dice, the dwarf panicked and ran for his live.

Anyway, I hope you can give me some advise on how to use them cards and maybe some other hints for better gameplay.

Ifthey really like this I may go and try find some expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Freddy,

You use the Treasure card when a Hero does a search in a room and there is nothing specific noted as being in the room. They simply draw a Treasure Card.

If I remember correctly each Hero may search a room, but only once.

Each Hero may keep any Treasure they find abd get attacked if it is a wondring Monster.

Hope this helps you out, Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure does.

For some reason I never understood how to use them cards.
I can only suppose I thought it would be a bit weird to find treasure in every room. But as I now understand, the cards oft times sooner will get players into trouble than actually make the rich.

It will be interesting to play it 'as should' next time.

Any suggestions for possible expansions, or did you never bother with those.

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
For some reason I never understood how to use them cards.
I can only suppose I thought it would be a bit weird to find treasure in every room. But as I now understand, the cards oft times sooner will get players into trouble than actually make the rich.

Tony has it right above. Each hero can search once in a room. The first one that searches will find treasure noted on the map, if any, instead of the treasure card. Wandering monsters and hazards go back in the deck, so eventually there is nothing but bad stuff in the deck.

sagitar wrote:

It will be interesting to play it 'as should' next time.

Any suggestions for possible expansions, or did you never bother with those.

I liked Kellar's Keep. I thought the things it added to the level design were very inventive. I haven't really played Witch Lord or the harder to find Elf and Ogre (IIRC) packs, as they were only released in the UK.

sagitar wrote:

My orcs only have on live-point, so are easily killed.
Allthough after a bad role of dice, the dwarf panicked and ran for his live.

Anyway, I hope you can give me some advise on how to use them cards and maybe some other hints for better gameplay.

When I run the game (I only really enjoy running it), I felt free to add a few extra monsters or move monsters around before the heroes arrived on the scene, carefully making sure they follow movement rules and such. The main thing is you balance it for fun. If the heroes are having a tough time, go easier on them. If they are tearing it up, fudge a dice roll or have a monster swing around behind the party to attack the wizard, etc. It's more fun when they manage to get out with only one or two of the characters left alive. *evil grin* The players will never know and the game will feel more epic.

FYI, Heroquest is notoriously over-powered in favor of the players. That's why I don't feel bad about adding a few extra monsters in the mix.

It's also a lot of fun to design your own levels and props too. I recall running a 3-board game at a convention with mirrors that spawned creatures, lava pits, and elementals. It was a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jester,

You are right, why not make the game more fun by inventing some rules.
Afterall you are the wizzard and indeed I aggree it's the only role that seems worth playing to me, so who's going to stop you.

I guess I didn't even consider bending the rules, because I was still in the progress of trying to understand the rules as they are.
But you are so right, why not change a game if the rules you're stuck with are not enough fun.
Making the monsters stronger and the players sweat a bit more will deffinatly do that.
After all what fun is it to approach a monster and be almost certain of victory.
yuk

Hm yes, you've really jogged my fantasy there laughand I think our next game may be more spectacular than simply walk the halls and rooms.

WUHAHAHAAAA (insane laughter)devil

Mind you we did decide to change the rule where you are to enter a room and explore for hidden doors and than immedeatly carry on with your turn.
It seemed silly that it would cost you no time to explore a room,and we decided it should at least take you a turn to explore.

Many years ago when I bought the game I apparenlty did have my mind set on building my own scenarioes, as I found a pile of maps I copied, for making my own.

Thanks for that helpfull suggestion.

Would you aggree that this game is almost identical to SPACE MARINES? another game wich I now have a go at, now that I've found interested players.
It's basically the same, all-be-it without magic, just situated in space. I've actually got an expansion for that one wich my wife found cheap at the time. Some giant robot monster creature.
Hm time to move some dust and go find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

Ifthey really like this I may go and try find some expansions.

If you're even thinking about it, try my web site:
http://www.freewebs.com/heroquestrevised
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, I'll have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.