Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant could be used by everyone who does not plan to (or want to) create his own variant cards.

First, sort out from all the blank cards the following:
1 card for each production and windfall planet (i.e. 8 cards total)
2 cards for generic / gray planet
3 cards for general development
(I do not recommend using blank cards with cost 6 this way)

Shuffle all those sorted-out cards into the drawing deck.
They will represent the special trade option - demand for existing card of its type from your tableau.

And how it works:
Whenever you have one of those cards in your hand
AND you have any matching cards in your tableau
AND you have played a trade action
-> you may then sell the existing card by putting it from your tableau to discard pile and exchanging it for the blank card from your hand
(which is put on the place of the currently sold card and which will have no VPs or powers). You will than receive 2x its building value in cards, plus any trade bonus if applicable.

Note that the blank card is still counting towards the end-game condition of 12 cards and also note that this trade is done instead of normal commodity sell during a trade action.

Also, whenever you draw this blank card(s) at the beginning of the game (i.e. as your starting hand), you may reveal it to all players and discard - than replace it by a new card from the drawing pile.

-X-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a creative, and not overly complex, rules addition and use for those pesky blank cards that seem to give some a fit. aheh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify that?

And maybe give an example or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Can you clarify that?

I tried to rewrite all the wording a little first, some examples will follow later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
Can you clarify that?

I believe he means this;

You have a blue production world that costs 2 in play. You have a blank card in hand corresponding to a blue production world. If you play Consume:Trade, you may sell the planet in play for 4 cards (plus any bonuses)... you don't sell a good, you sell the whole planet. You replace the planet with the blank card from your hand, keeping you at the same number of cards in your tableau.

If I have this right, it seems a little... weird. Why bother replacing the blue card in play with the blank?

Perhaps a simpler variant would be to use the cards to represent goods. So, you could discard them from hand to satisfy consumption actions or for the Trade action instead of discarding them from worlds. This way, it can be a bit tricky to look across the table and know exactly what an opponent will get when Consume is played... for good or for ill I'm not sure. But that's a bit easier to grasp perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Can you clarify that?

I believe he means this;

You have a blue production world that costs 2 in play. You have a blank card in hand corresponding to a blue production world. If you play Consume:Trade, you may sell the planet in play for 4 cards (plus any bonuses)... you don't sell a good, you sell the whole planet. You replace the planet with the blank card from your hand, keeping you at the same number of cards in your tableau.

If I have this right, it seems a little... weird. Why bother replacing the blue card in play with the blank?

Perhaps a simpler variant would be to use the cards to represent goods. So, you could discard them from hand to satisfy consumption actions or for the Trade action instead of discarding them from worlds. This way, it can be a bit tricky to look across the table and know exactly what an opponent will get when Consume is played... for good or for ill I'm not sure. But that's a bit easier to grasp perhaps.

Yes you are right. Reason for this (when it could be an interesting action) are few:

- removing planet/development that has an iherited flaw (like -1 military)
- exchanging less needed planet/development for resources to build another more important card for your strategy (especialy in the near-end for 6 cost development when there is not much time left)
- gaining resources without the need to produce (when there is no produce on the current turn)

This variant is for more finesse-play, it gives no overpowering strength to players.
...and btw, Happy New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.