Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Anyone have an idea of how the Gallery edition is doing? It was great to finally see it (in some variation) turn up at Toys R Us this holiday season. Over the past couple months, though, when I saw it on the shelf I didn't see a sign that it was selling.

I was really surprised that Mayfair didn't put something better on the box that would grab attention. It still looked like a box for a hobby game and, on a shelf with games that sell for so many reasons other than their playability, it was probably easily ignored. It seems like some text pointing out that the game has sold X million copies worldwide might have earned the game a second glance from gift buyers who are not familiar with good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, I found a copy at Borders in Birmingham, MI for half off. That probably means it didn't sell well there. Not sure about anywhere else.

After looking at it more closely I see there are some good selling points listed on the back of the box. I still think it would have been better to put *something* on the front to make more people pick it up.

My wife and I played this afternoon with our son (8 years old). It's still a very good game, but it's pretty easy to see where Mayfair cut some corners to print it in the U.S..

As someone mentioned here, I also got 5 cities and only 4 settlements. I hope that wasn't a huge problem in the entire print run. I'll live with it, but it could make it confusing for someone trying to learn it who's not very familiar with games.

Barring the miscount on the pieces, this edition would certainly offer a family $30 of entertainment. I hope a lot of people discovered Settlers over the past holiday season because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just stumbled across this at Toys R Us this week and finally picked it up tonight due to the low price and the fact that I didn't actually have a copy of Settlers. I went in on a whim and was suprised that they actually had a game like these, even though it's one of the more commercial, non-commercial games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Muskegon
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a dinged and dented box in a Tanga trash order. It also had 5 cities and 4 settlements instead of vice versa. I called Mayfair and they are shipping me 4 settlements free of charge. Just call them and I'm sure they will do the same.

If anyone is thinking of getting this game for themselves just buy the normal Settlers instead. The only reason I can see getting this is if you have a child wanting to play. My 6 year old loves this game since it is easy to set up and he can do it on his own.

As stated in the game description the hexes are in blocks of 4, 3 and 2 hexes and are placed inside a board with cut outs in it. The numbers on the resoures are permanent which makes for an even game every time.

I've seen this edition on clearance on some sites for under $20 now (such as Cardhaus.com). I believe it is no being made since it not listed on the Mayfair website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stick BOARD GAME OF THE YEAR and add some glossy effects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.