Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the holidays, my girlfriend and I flew back home to the Midwest. Being a geek, I filled one of our suitcases with games (which turned out to be great, I got most of the family playing!) We brought Lost Cities, Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, Mr. Jack, Bohnanza, Dominion, Pandemic, Wits & Wagers. My girlfriend even insisted we bring Agricola, which almost put us over the weight limit. Everything was removed and placed in plastic bags to minimize space. I ended up getting Mr. Jack Extension and Wasabi! as gifts for my girlfriend, so we had even more to pack coming back.

However, the traveling ended up being an ordeal. Flying out, we got caught in a snowstorm on the East Coast and missed our connection in O'Hare. We then had to stay overnight in Chicago but managed to get on a flight out the next afternoon. So everything was okay. However, a week later flying out, we got caught in another snowstorm that delayed our flight into O'Hare by 4 hours. We would have missed our connection, and then every single flight to any city on the East Coast on any airline was booked solid for another three days. Just by delaying one flight, we would have lost three days. We decided to fly to O'Hare anyway, stay overnight in the aiport and try standby all day. Luckily, it turned out that our connection was also delayed by 4 hours for mechanical problems, so we were able to make it and get home by 5 am!

However, when we arrived in Newark, we realized that we were missing a suitcase---the suitcase containing all of our boardgames! They couldn't locate it in the system. There was kind of a sinking feeling as I realized that they may be lost forever. That would have been a pretty big hit. However, finally after a couple of days, the airline found it and delivered it---crisis averted! No damage to anything inside either. Now I'm thinking that maybe in the future I should split my games between separate suitcases, so in case one goes missing, I don't lose them all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be safer to just ship them ahead of time to a trusted address. Having spent several years flying places during my service in the US Navy, I've learned that you NEVER put anything valuable into a suitcase for the airlines to handle. Bad, bad, bad idea. You got really lucky this time and hopefully you'll not risk those precious games this way again!! Glad you got them back, either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
It'd be safer to just ship them ahead of time to a trusted address. Having spent several years flying places during my service in the US Navy, I've learned that you NEVER put anything valuable into a suitcase for the airlines to handle. Bad, bad, bad idea. You got really lucky this time and hopefully you'll not risk those precious games this way again!! Glad you got them back, either way!

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually haven't had too many problems with the airlines until this year, and in the past the most I would have lost would have been clothes. Do you know if you can ship games via media mail? Especially if you took all the components out separately without the box? I've never actually used it, but I've heard it's good when shipping big boxes of books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can but I believe that USPS has stopped offering this shipping method - at least that's what I've heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.