Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "special" edition is crap. Every change from the original hurts the game. I ranted about this on this geeklist.

1) The original had one star on every card with four or five of one color. This is becasue it's hard to get a lot of one color, and if someone else buys it out from under you it's hard to get out of that color.

2) In the 3M edition each stall (stack) had five cards, and it ended when two stalls were depleted. I think Bierbörse had eight in each stall and play to a set score.

3) The second star wasn't on the card, but was triggered by emtying one stall. This rule caused the last few plays of the game to score higher to give people a chance to catch up. DT ruined both of these mechanisms with these ware cards. It's better to ignore the stars on the cards, and just count stars as they were in the original.

4) Sid's original scoring progression was 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12. In the "special" edition they added three to each number and added a phony zero so it was 40, 50, 60, 80, 110, 150. The flattens out the advantage for minimizing left over tokens.

It appears the equation cards are the same in all editions of this game. I believe this is because it's the only part of the game where there was room for improvement.

Play by the 3M rules. If you can, get a copy of the 3M edition. It's designed very nicely, so it fits in the box while you play:

Bierbörse and Troca have similarly designed boxes (though not the same). The Schmidt edition uses all of Sid's original rules, though the box is not well designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never read the Discovery Toys rules, but if they are as you say then why would anyone bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
One more question, then: how many ware cards were included with the original game? (The DT edition has 54.)

I just counted: My 3M and Schmidt sets have 45 cards each. I recall that the Discovery set had more, but I thought it was more more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dcorban wrote:
I had never read the Discovery Toys rules, but if they are as you say then why would anyone bother?

Because I've found about six copies of the Discovery Toys edition in thrift stores and none of the 3M edition.

Anyway, you can play that version with the new rules.

I think that version looks nicer anyway, based on BGG pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Barticus88"I just counted: My 3M and Schmidt sets have 45 cards each.[/q]
I left something out here: The two sets of cards are equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think even though the DT version has 54 cards, 5 of them are just logo cards (they have the DT logo on them), so there are actually only 49 play cards (at least my orange box, non-special edition, DT version is as such).
Ciao
Tim
P.S. I am trying to find a kind soul to scan me the 3M rulebook and the DT (non-special edition) rulebook for my copies.
Ciao
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
timrichter9 wrote:
I think even though the DT version has 54 cards, 5 of them are just logo cards (they have the DT logo on them), so there are actually only 49 play cards (at least my orange box, non-special edition, DT version is as such).

The Special Edition version that I have has 54 merchandise cards plus 2 logo cards (56 cards total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.