Subject: Rabid Witch King rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to wonder if the Witch King is a bit too overpowered. If one of the players decides to go after the other players as the WK, you are almost defenseless. With his powerful starter spells, his ability to use magic sight and the broom spell, you can only wait for your impending doom as the king slays baddies and collects the appropriate gear to destroy you and your friends.

In one game, all of my buddies and I were continuously slain by a WK who was out for blood. Does anyone else here feel that the WK needs some house rules to make him less powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant see how the WK can kill other players easily, at least early in the game. He needs to cast (broom) spell to even move in battle, so that's an immediate death at encounter.

Of course, once he's absorbed a T monster, the situation changes. But even then, there are characters who can take him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ridgeway
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have to agree that he's not overpowered -- of course, he's my favorite MR character, so I'm biased, but I like him the way he is. His "disembodied" trait really hurts, because once he uses his Broomstick (and he has to often), he is vulnerable until he can rest and recast it.

As the previous poster correctly indicated, every other character in the game kills him automatically if he's caught unprepared.

Even a well-prepared Witch King, though, would have to think twice about fighting a team of players -- and this is the obvious solution to the "Bounty Hunter" Witch King you describe.

Sure, if he is lucky enough to find a Tremendous Flying Dragon to absorb he is trouble (but still not unbeatable). Also, if he lucks out and gets Elven Slippers he becomes tougher. But these are rare events in any game of MR and truthfully, almost every character has a dream combo of items that make them very tough (Pilgrim + Truesteel Sword springs to mind).

The Jerol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And he has to be very careful around characters like the Pilgrim, who may have the Exorcise spell available. That spell is pretty much a death spell to the Witch King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.