4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: advice for next purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tasha starr
Canada
flag msg tools
Looking for some advice on what to purchase next. My husband and I like a whole variety of games. We currently own and enjoy:
Settlers, Apples to Apples, Killer Bunnies, Crib, and a few others (we really do like a wide variety!) We are slowly getting into more "strategy" games; We've REALLY enjoyed (and recently rec'd) Railroad Tycoon, Peurto Rico & El Grande. My sister just got Power Grid and we can't wait to play that too. We've played Ticket to Ride, but prefer Railroad Tycoon as it's a little more complex. I've also played Carcassonne a couple times, but have never gotten "hooked" like the others I've listed. (I don't think I'd be big into War themes - but I wouldn't know that for sure.)
So that's some background...We would like to purchase a few more, but don't really know where to start! There are SO many reviews out there!
We're looking at Tigris & Euphrates for sure....Any other advice?? It's greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age would be a good choice. More to it than Ticket To Ride. I haven't played Railroad Tycoon, so can't compare it to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've really liked Puerto Rico and El Grande, it sounds like you should check out some of the more weighty Euros. Really most of the top rated BGG games should be a good fit. Tigris and Euphrates is very good. Also Agricola, Caylus (or Caylus Magna Carta if you'd prefer a ~60 minute playing time to a ~150 minute playing time).

Another to think about is Race for the Galaxy. If you enjoyed Puerto Rico you already have some familiarity with the concepts. It may seem a bit daunting at first, but after a few plays it will click into place.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.