BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: WotC Diplomacy weigh in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L B
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
What do people think of the new printing of Diplomacy?

My brother in law is an avid gamer and teaches high school. IMO the best arena for Diplomacy is a school setting -- either a dorm or a "cool" HS teacher's classroom, say -- where it's easy to play one turn per day, so I thought this would be a perfect gift for him. I'd never considered it before because turning seven teenagers loose on an out-of-print collector's item seemed like a bad idea, but with the new edition out it seemed like it could work.

However, I'm really ambivalent about the new style... allegedly has a smaller board? And cardboard pieces? What?? The pics online look like their attempt at adding an artsy feel makes the board very muddy looking. So, what's the consensus? Too flimsy to bother with? Or, just flimsy enough to be affordable?

I couldn't find any reviews on the Diplomacy BGG page that specifically mentioned the new printing, so if they're there, I apologize for the repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I'm an avowed 'ANTI'-"WotC" fellow, and they've managed to cheapen this in MORE 'ways' than one with their latest rendition. SAVE some $$$ and create your OWN 'magnetized' versions from this:
"How to MAKE a Magnetic Game" -'click'
You're very welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is a great idea! I'm not "crafty" enough to make a set that's presentable as a gift, but I will bookmark your page for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vaaaase wrote:
What do people think of the new printing of Diplomacy?

My brother in law is an avid gamer and teaches high school. IMO the best arena for Diplomacy is a school setting -- either a dorm or a "cool" HS teacher's classroom, say -- where it's easy to play one turn per day, so I thought this would be a perfect gift for him. I'd never considered it before because turning seven teenagers loose on an out-of-print collector's item seemed like a bad idea, but with the new edition out it seemed like it could work.

However, I'm really ambivalent about the new style... allegedly has a smaller board? And cardboard pieces? What?? The pics online look like their attempt at adding an artsy feel makes the board very muddy looking. So, what's the consensus? Too flimsy to bother with? Or, just flimsy enough to be affordable?

I couldn't find any reviews on the Diplomacy BGG page that specifically mentioned the new printing, so if they're there, I apologize for the repeat.

The game remains largely the same rules wise but many people (including me) were disappointed by the cheap cardboard units used in the game. However, Diplomacy is perfect for a HS game club, I have a copy in my room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.