Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thick Fog. It happens every now and then. You can get lost and end up making a move to any location. Well, I felt that way when I opened this game for the first time.

How well I recall the evening in 1991 when I bought my first copy of "Sherlock Holmes: The Card Game". I was working patrol on Christmas Eve and had spent most of the evening searching for gifts. Working in center city on Christmas eve was almost always a quiet affair. People would be scurrying back and forth in and out of a misty, cold evening leaving work and plotting their way back to the warmth of home and friends.

It would be a only about another hour before I was done and I still had not bought that "family" gift that I always sought. A game that everyone could play.

At around 7pm I pulled my old patrol car, 94, up to the 1900 block of Walnut street just opposite Rittenhouse Square. A game store, The Compleat Strategist, was still open. I put myself out of service on the radio and walked over to take a look at some of the games in the window.

"Sherlock Holmes: The Card game" was displayed among other games in the shop window and I knew I just had to buy it. To think it came from England and concerned the Centennial anniversary of the first appearance of the stories in the Strand magazine struck a special place in my heart immediately.

I was the last customer. I felt like I had just beat old Bob Crachett out the door at Scrooge & Marley. That chance purchase on that Christmas eve led to many years of play.

When I took the game home that first Christmas eve in '91 it began what became a Christmas tradition. I recall hours of laughter and entertainment as a result.

Well, the years have gone by. The game went out of print. I continued to purchase copies from England that were sold through e-bay. Friends who inquired were provided with a copy whenever I could afford one.

Then in 2007, I hear that the game has been revived. There were calls for someone to re issue the game but I could not find a copy. Then I found the source and ordered it through Victory Point Games. "I Say Holmes" has been a bit of a disappointment in the quality department.

The game has the usual art, some additional playing aids that make sense but the design overall reminds one of the early game designs by companies who are lacking in funding. The cards are "portable". They are designed for younger eyes and not for this 53 year old adventurer. Like the 3rd edition of "Condottiere" you get the impression of "midgeting" with changes in a few rules and additional cards to make a minor impact on play.

The "romance" of this game has been lost due to downsizing. The cheapness of the quality of the cards means avoid moisture on the table at all costs! No beer or pretzels around this set!

The Zip Lock bag reminds you of those early Mayfair games from the 70s. "ICBM", "Richard the Lionheart", "The Castle", etc. With a quick front cover of art as a card insert with the game in-between and by the way, good luck after you open the packs because nothing will fit the same inside ever again.

They have also included a chart for which cards are to be included according to how many players are around. Although this saves you from all that counting (come on, it really wasn't hard to add six cards for each player in total after "The Game is Afoot" and a Criminal card!) I dislike the idea of Colonel Sebastian Moran being the automatic criminal of first choice with 40 points.

There are also several "Country" locations for idiots who complain about the constant "The Country" cards popping up in the game. Now you can be at a country location in a Castle, etc. A numbskull adjustment for the uninformed or those who lack attention spans of more than thirty seconds.

We have also added a few London locations for the same purpose. A "Mastermind" card can now be played. That's funny, I always thought it was Professor Moriarity.

The game is definitely one for the rack. I still prefer the old Gibson design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in some card protection to save these cheap little cards [as well as those in the other 3 VP games I own], the new "mini-American" [yellow pack] sleeves from Fantasy Flight are the right size. They also add some much-needed backbone to the cards.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Victory Point is, pretty much, one of those "early companies with limited funding." I've liked each of the games I've played thus far--Crisis 2020 and the Russian Revolution games--but I'm seriously tempted to completely rework everything in Photoshop and get new cards via ArtsCow.

[On an off-note, I didn't know the old mayfair games were ziplocks--I have a few oldies, including an early Family Business and Sheridan's Ride, that were boxed. Interesting]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information on the card sleeves. I will check out the Russian Revolution as this is a period of interest for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and can say the FFG sleeves work great! It is my families new favorite card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, after playing both version, I like I say, holmes better. The different areas in the country or London allow for different cards to be played. The extra purple cards at fun. All in all I like the improvements to the game.

Now if it was only in Regular playing card size..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susanna Smith
United States
Stafford
Texas
flag msg tools
thanks so much for the sleeve info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
If you're interested in some card protection to save these cheap little cards [as well as those in the other 3 VP games I own], the new "mini-American" [yellow pack] sleeves from Fantasy Flight are the right size. They also add some much-needed backbone to the cards.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Victory Point is, pretty much, one of those "early companies with limited funding." I've liked each of the games I've played thus far--Crisis 2020 and the Russian Revolution games--but I'm seriously tempted to completely rework everything in Photoshop and get new cards via ArtsCow.

[On an off-note, I didn't know the old mayfair games were ziplocks--I have a few oldies, including an early Family Business and Sheridan's Ride, that were boxed. Interesting]

Their old wargames were mostly in ziplocks. My favorite of the small wargames was Metagames, of course. I got more play out of some of those ziplock games than I did over games I paid 10 times as much for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition coming soon! Better card stock and graphics!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The second edition of I SAY, HOLMES! is coming along smartly. We all have on our detective hats and are making some very smart improvements in the scoring/storytelling aspects of the game. There will be some new cards (full-size, of course) and a sheet of tiles.

I'm very happy has this game is evolving and, of course, Stephanie Newland is doing a great job developing the second edition and Clark Miller (on the left with the goofus look) is doing wonders with the look and illustrations.

Alan Emrich (on the right, contemplating my next play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.