Popular Tags: geek_gold [+] geekgold [+] essential [+] [View All]
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think he means that when you try to turn that way, you bump into a wall because it was painted on by Wile E. Coyote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie said:
Quote:
Review: 1

When did this occur? Now I'm gonna be poor!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the admins seem to hand out GG manually, shouldn't it be better to give GG for useful contributions?

Now, as stated, when you take 5 snapshots at home and post images 37-41 for a game you get 5GG, while, when you spent a hour or two writing an article about tactics you invest much more time, contribute something useful but get zero for your efforts.

my5cts,
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what the TipJar is for. If you write a useful article, users will tip you for it. If you write a lame article, no GG. So for writing a very good article, you will probably get more than 5 GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL.
That's a positive respons from someone who earned most of his GG by submitting images and received 0 on tips...

But, I might try. And surrender myself to the kindness of my fellow BGGs. Hoping for the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Since the admins seem to hand out GG manually, shouldn't it be better to give GG for useful contributions?

Now, as stated, when you take 5 snapshots at home and post images 37-41 for a game you get 5GG, while, when you spent a hour or two writing an article about tactics you invest much more time, contribute something useful but get zero for your efforts.

my5cts,
M

BaSL wrote:
That's what the TipJar is for. If you write a useful article, users will tip you for it. If you write a lame article, no GG. So for writing a very good article, you will probably get more than 5 GG.

Well, that doesn’t work. Exactly 1 week ago I submitted a strategy article. The first one for Shogun.
(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea... )
Wrote like 2½ hrs. Isn’t that bad, I think. It received 1 rating of 5 (out of 1 ratings Thanks, people! ). And luckily, I received 1 tip. Like most others (and you), when I submitted a game and took five pictures of it, I received 6 GG for ½hr. work.

I’m not saying the tip jar isn’t a good thing. But it’s exactly that. An extra. It’s certainly not your income generator which will bring you an avatar for your hard work.

My point being: I find it strange there's an incentive to just add more and more of the same, while adding something useful can go unnoticed.

It will not stop me from trying to contribute useful stuff, but still...

Since it's easy to nag without recommending improvements, I'll try to do the latter:
- No GG for pictures 11+. That way, there's not an endless stream of new&same pictures on a game. And if you have a great picture that you want to share, you'll still submit it, even when not receiving GG.
- GG for (first) article(s) in each category. What I see now is a game with 6 reviews and no tips on how to play. Maybe people need a bit encouragement to write something.
- Using the Thumbs Up (and maybe adding Thumbs Down) it might me possible to automate the process: 10 T-U=1 GG while when 3x as many T-D's as T-U's might be a reason to remove to [picture/article/...]

As said, my5cts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Find Gold feature still operational? I don't see it on the menu anywhere.

Am I just being completely lame or is it missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekura wrote:
Is the Find Gold feature still operational? I don't see it on the menu anywhere.

Am I just being completely lame or is it missing?

It's gone.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One quick way to earn GeekGold is to trade a game in exchange for it. I have 10-150 GeekGold up for grabs, so if you want quick GeekGold to buy a badge or avatar, see this thread here and make me an offer!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

There was a thread somewhere, explaining how someone had compared GeekGold values with recent trades/purchases of games, and discovered that 3GG = US$1. I can't seem to find that thread back ... anyone have a link to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Someone pointed me to the thread I was looking for ($1 = 3GG), and I figured I'd leave the link here in case it's useful to others:
and an older less accurate thread:
and some more recent observations:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about paying BGG contributors in GG for their monetary contributions? Say $10 = 1GG. You guys could use the revenue, you got people out there already trading their hard earned cash for it, its a win-win!

Carey Grayson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Moody
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
BaSL wrote:
That's what the TipJar is for. If you write a useful article, users will tip you for it.

Don't you have to have geekgold to tip it?

I also admit that it appears the 'reward' structure does not do enough to promote articles on strategy or tactics.

DonMoody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Derk made a post (on page 1) about new game submissions being too much hassle for the admins because of how much wrong or redundant info is submitted.

What if there was a "Review" phase for game submissions. Things go like this:

- Game is submitted. It is immediately in a special "games under review" section, but not yet visible in normal game searches.
- Game stays in "review" section for some time (1 week? 1 month?), where normal BGG users can see it and comment on the accuracy & completeness of the info there.
- When it is time to move the game submission out of review, the admin responsible has all comments be users on the new submission, and can decide then whether to take game as-is, take game but make changes, or throw out the game.

The goal here is to spot problems before admins even have to look at the game, so they can in a few minutes glance at the game, read the review comments, and make a decision.

The only problem I see is, will enough people check the game submissions under review and make comments? I don't know. Maybe GG for spotting problems in reviews...but then of course you can make GG all you want by submitting wrong info in one account and "reviewing" it with your other account...ugh.

Anyway, that's my idea of how to cut down on Derk's workload. Although first this system needs to be programmed, so my idea actually adds to his work. Drat. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
normal BGG users

Do they exist?

I think a lot of games are to obscure for such a system. Look at the gametab on the frontpage and see how many of those you know / can review. I know 4 of the 50 there, 3 of which I submitted myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kings-Lynne
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
How come we get no geek gold for a time-consuming researched strategy article, but do get geek gold for a random account of one night playing a game that no-one cares about?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Halstead
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that game review would be a good idea if the games still to be added weren't so obscure now.

But instead of a -1 gg penalty, why not just pay less of a reward for a duplicate new game? Give 3 gg for a spanking new game, but only 1 or even 0 gg for a duplicate one?

Then users wouldn't want to waste their own time adding a duplicate new game if they got no reward for it, but the users who did their research to find a truly new game would still get the nice, big reward. That sounds better to me than just reducing the reward for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my two cents' worth. I'd like to second the complaints/criticisms about images and reports. I think there are simply far too many, and rewarding them quite as much as it done so at the moment seems fairly pointless. Just before Christmas I had a grand total of 2 GG, for the two session reports I've written. Both of those were what I considered to be 'exceptional' games - a three-hour game of Carcassonne which resulted in a 397-388 result, and one describing the first use of the new Der Fluss II expansion. That's fine, but any other stuff I've done on BGG - like translating the whole of the FAQ for Carcassonne, or writing to HiG for rules clarifications, and so on, seems to have no structure for reward. I don't upload pictures, because I have nothing to say with them, and most of the ones already up don't say anything either; I don't post reports often, for the same reason; and the one file I have submitted so far (a Mac OS X widget of Carc rules) was rejected because it couldn't be opened.

Now I do have a Avatar over on the left, but that's because someone was kind enough to 'sponsor' me for helping out with a Carc Rule summary (and many thanks again!). And I received a 10 GG Christmas bonus, which was also much appreciated. So I don't feel hard done by; I'm extremely grateful. But I still worry that the system at the moment rewards casual repetitiveness rather than hard work and effort.

In the 8 months I've been a member, I've started 19 articles and replied to 74 others, almost all of them in the Carcassonne family (I follow others, but I'm a wee bit obsessed.) Even with the Christmas bonus, at the current rate it would have taken nearly three years to save up for an Avatar.

It seems a little odd that effort (geekiness, even) should depend on the benevolence of others for reward, while lack of inspiration should be rewarded automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm.. one of my new year resolutions was to get myself sorted with an avatar...

It does seem looking at it that the reward structure is a little biased. I'd rather see more gold for (quality) reviews and strategy articles than is given out for a photo.

Oh well if I keep at it and do 3 reviews a week I'll get my avatar by the middle of the year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Here's the list right now:

New Game: 2
Session Report: 1
Review: 1
File: 1
Image: 1 unless it's the first, then you get 2
Regarding images...

...does "unless it's the first" mean the first that a user posts or the first image for a particular game?

I received 2GG for the first image I posted (which was also the first image for the game), but received only 1GG for the first images posted to 4 different games recently.

Just curious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game has no images posted, and you post the first image to that game, you receive a bonus gold for posting the first image in addition to the one gold for the image anyway. If anyone posts any image after the first image, they do not receive the bonus gold, only the one gold for the image anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It changed to 1 GG for every image - first, second or 25th. There was some discussion about it and Aldie said he doesn't know if the bonusGG is coming back. He didn't like the run-for-gold that was going on with first pics.

Edit: here's the link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/94701

Quote:
I'm still weighing the benefits of giving 2 for the first image. It tends to create a race that I'm not pleased with submitting substandard images in order to claim the extra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bas, I'll edit the top item later. The whole Add Picture page has changed now to reflect the new Modding process. I hadn't seen that before.

Cheers,
Jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the abuse of geek gold.

I recently saw a new member who already had an avatar! And he still had the "NewUser" tag. He got 30 GG by writing 3 reviews for 10 different games. All of them were submitted and approved within a 2 week period. That's a little absurd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also earn Geek Gold by using the Auction function on the site and auctioning off duplicate games that you might own. The Auction area allows you to either pay the shipping yourself or have the winner of the bid pay the shipping. People do both. If your objective is to earn enought Geek Gold so that you can get an Avatar then unless the game you are auctioning off is really a nice, heavily wanted game I would pay the shipping myself and get the gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Re: the abuse of geek gold.

I recently saw a new member who already had an avatar! And he still had the "NewUser" tag. He got 30 GG by writing 3 reviews for 10 different games. All of them were submitted and approved within a 2 week period. That's a little absurd.

Well, I also had an avatar while I had the NewUser tag. And I only missed having my badge while I still had the tag by a week or so. I have submitted ten new games and gotten 2GG credit for fifteen first pictures (including seven of the games I added - the other three only got one apiece). Of course, I also got the 10GG from Christmas. I am credited with 48 pictures in all, though one or two somehow got duplicated on the way in. For the new games, I usually added 2-3 pictures (box front, back if applicable and setup) and did that to the other games that didn't have pictures as well.

Of course, I have been collecting games for 30-40 years and had lots of games from the 70s that weren't in the database.

But I would agree that writing three reviews for the same game is unreasonable......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |