Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this over in the Descent page but I'm looking for some quick responses so I'm hoping to get some here as well.

Hello there, I asked for Descent for Christmas and was blessed by my mom (yes, how funny she must have felt buying board games for her 32 year old son) and she not only bought me Descent but 3 of the expansions. The only one she didn't get was Alter of Despair.

Now, I've never played Descent b/f and was wondering how I should proceed here. As of right now I've only opened the base game, punched everything out and read briefly through the rules. We're looking to possibly play tomorrow or the next day. Should I play only the base game with neither expansion or go for it all? ( I'm NOT starting the RTL until I have a few plays under my belt ) Should I use perhaps some of the expansions at first (I really don't even know what's in them yet) Please, experienced players, lend me your help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the base game first, w/o expansions. Then go for RTL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
You have an awesome mom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like what was already suggested, start with the base. As a first time player (and I'm guessing your friends are too) there is already alot there to chew on. If you are playing OL, there's even more there for you since you'll be lawyer-ing both OL and Hero rules. I suggest you play till about quest 3 or 4 (till 5 would be best so you can try playing with large monsters).

As for expansions, you can play 1 or 2 quests to get a feel of the new stuff. But there isnt much that changed here so you can jump straight to RTL and incorporate everything in. Best of luck and, if all goes well, you and your friends will be in for a lot of fun times with this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys, I did open up the well of darkness just to read the rules and was glad b/c there's some good rules clarifications and faq's in there. Should I switch out the reprinted cards at least today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check to see if those cards NEED to be switched, first. If so, yes, switch 'em as they repair some problems with the first printing of the game.

I hope you have a great time with 'Descent.' I adore it, myself.

Oh, and my parents buy me games for Xmas, too and I'm 39, so don't worry... Note, they also enjoy PLAYING games, so it's all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.