15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Stock Market game for 2+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm trying to get my wife interested in board gaming and have had some success with some of the more obvious 2 player game choices such as Carcassonne, TTR Europe and Battle Line. To keep up the interest I'm going to try getting another game for her to try out. She has declared an interest in any game that has a stock market theme involving buying and selling. I'm guessing she just loves money!

Does anyone have any profitable tips? Mostly it's just us playing so the game would need to work well for 2 players.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia has a "Stock Market" aspect to it and it work well for 2 (and better with more). You don't "buy" per se, but you do acquire seals that you can sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is a good economic game. Not based on buying "stocks" per se, but stock in hotel corporations.

Other economic games that have hit well for my family:

Union Pacific - very similar to Acquire
El Capitán - not so much stock building
Vegas Showdown - bidding, building, and money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Stock has good potential.
Power Grid also has something of a commodities market element, though much less than I would have guessed from the comments. (I still don't see any gain in trying to manipulate the resource prices, though there can be times when it's beneficial to buy out all available supply entirely.)

My wife is still a self-declared "non gamer". She'd never have motivation to pull out a game except that she knows I like to play. She still thinks if I ask any other people to play, even politely, then I'm pushing my weird habit on them and they'd rather I didn't. Yet she enjoys a quite wide variety of games, so I feel we've been very very successful in finding a gaming space together.

Check out my entire collection, which are mostly rated for being played just me and my wife. (I specify when they aren't.) Also this geeklist of 30 games she has liked enough to choose to play with me. Some will be too long or heavy for a budding gamer, but you maybe can see some ideas there too.

As a general piece of advice... check (gently) what your wife's "no thanks" factors are. Is it rules complexity? Is it total time to play? Is it particular themes? Is it "things that feel like toys, because I'm a grown up"? Is it simply "I'm not interested in taxing my brain"?

Also, there's several different styles of "conflict" and different styles irk different people. eg ...
x You can destroy my carefully built up position / structure
x You can destroy my possessions
x You can steal my possessions
x You can destroy my pieces
x Your pieces can destroy my pieces
x You can thwart my small moves repeatedly (eg overbidding)
x You can block something at the last moment that I've worked hard towards
... I'm sure there's more. The point is that while they're all forms of "conflict" people may only object to a subset. For example, neither my wife nor I can enjoy an abstract game (which feels more "me vs you" than a themed game) if you can let the other player spend many turns building up a position then march in and destroy it. But we have no problem at all with a direct "my pieces attack your pieces" game such as Nexus Ops.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
For example, neither my wife nor I can enjoy an abstract game (which feels more "me vs you" than a themed game) if you can let the other player spend many turns building up a position then march in and destroy it. But we have no problem at all with a direct "my pieces attack your pieces" game....

That is a great description. Explains a lot of what I've noticed myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Owner's Choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second Owner's Choice. Great game, plays fast... but it isn't a very accurate stock-market 'simulation'. It's on Tanga for pretty cheap right now. Plays fast, and is fun with 2-5 players. It says 45 minutes, but we normally play in a lot less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's not a stock market game, I'd recommend Saint Petersburg because it does have the buying and making money aspect as well as depreciating values, economics, etc.

Come to think of it, there are many games that involve this kind of thinking without being totally stock market centered. Look around, I'm sure you'll find something to appeals to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Alcazar wrote:
...She has declared an interest in any game that has a stock market theme involving buying and selling...

Stock Market Guru is pretty good, and is exactly what you are looking for. If you are patient you can find a copy cheap. Be careful with some of the previous recommendations on this page because some of them don't let you buy and sell and some are the farthest themes from "stock market".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I'm sure I can find a winner out of that lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Low Sell High

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo. The best two player economic game ever.

Make sure you get Jambo Expansion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give you the best stock holding game in the world :

Imperial

And it's not half bad with two persons either! Big favorite with my wife. But really, most economic games require more than two players as a market is not simulated well by two players only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.