Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first complete game of ToC last night and my understanding of basic math was at odds with my friend Stephen's explanation of how point totals are "rounded-up" when paydays are scored. An example was a total of 11 rounded up to 15? My reaction was, huh? that's a round-down to 10 -- one would have to have 13 or 14 points to round up to 15.

Is Stephen's interpretation of the rules correct?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have puzzled over the same question, and while it seems counter-intuitive, I believe that the game designer intended that any total ending in 1 or 2 be rounded up to 5 or 15, and any total of 6 or 7 be rounded up to 10 or 20. However it is your game and you are certainly free to modify the rounding rule, just let everyone know at the outset of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
To me, rounding up is rounding up. If you have 1.00000000000000001 points and the instructions tell you to round up to the nearest multiple of 5, then you just got yourself 5 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes this is correct. If you have met threshold of any multiple of 5 a point above that would round up to the next threshold of 5. Using your example 11-14 would round up to 15, 16-19 would round up to 20 ect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When they say to "round up to the nearest multiple of 5" then you always round up, if they'd just said "round to the nearest multiple of 5" then you'd round up or down to the nearest multiple of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree you round up - that's very clear from the rules. Why they don't just say round up to next multiple of 5 I don't understand. There are a few fuzzy rules areas - had to read 3 times, but looking forward to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So last night I had a 2-3-5. That would be 15? 5-5-5 would still be 15. 2-2-2 is 6 which would round up to 10, right? Is there a simple explanation for how to score that someone could give me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quatsch wrote:
So last night I had a 2-3-5. That would be 15? 5-5-5 would still be 15. 2-2-2 is 6 which would round up to 10, right? Is there a simple explanation for how to score that someone could give me?

I think that's basically right, except remember that you don't get that full amount of VPs. Here's the basic formula for a bunch of cards of the same color:

VPs earned =
[Highest value card of a color] + [# Achievement tokens of that color]
--> MULTIPLIED BY [Number of cards of that color]
--> DIVIDED BY 5
--> Round up to nearest integer.

So a 5-3-2 (like a 5-5-5) would net you 3 VPs, ignoring achievement tokens. And a 2-2-2 would net you 2 VPs.

IMO this is a deliberate design choice. It doesn't make sense for you to keep going after value 5 goods, since after a single one they don't do you any extra good, and just cost you more money. Instead, you should get the highest value one you can, then buy as many cheap ones as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quatsch wrote:

Always round up to the nearest multiple of five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
quatsch wrote:

I think that's basically right, except remember that you don't get that full amount of VPs. Here's the basic formula for a bunch of cards of the same color:

VPs earned =
--> DIVIDED BY 5
--> Round up to nearest integer.

So a 5-3-2 (like a 5-5-5) would net you 3 VPs, ignoring achievement tokens. And a 2-2-2 would net you 2 VPs.

IMO this is a deliberate design choice. It doesn't make sense for you to keep going after value 5 goods, since after a single one they don't do you any extra good, and just cost you more money. Instead, you should get the highest value one you can, then buy as many cheap ones as possible.

I dont think the formula is right. You have to round up to the nearest multiple of 5 before you divide by 5.

VPs earned =
--> Round up to nearest multiple of 5.
--> Divide total by 5
--> Total VPs

5-3-2
[5 highest value] + [0] (no tokens) x [3 total same color cards] = 15 no rounding needed
15 / 5 = 3
3 VPs

3-6-2
([6 highest value] + [0] (no tokens)) x [3 total same color cards] = 18
(18 rounds up to [20] nearest multiple of 5)
20 / 5 = 4
4 VPs

2-2-2
([2 highest value] + [0] (no tokens)) x [3 total same color cards] = 6
(6 rounds up to [10] nearest multiple of 5)
10 / 5 = 2
2 VPs

1-1-1 in cards 6 same color token
([1 highest value card] + [6 same color tokens])) x [3 total same color cards] = 21
(21 rounds up to [25] nearest multiple of 5)
25 / 5 = 5
5 VPs

As you can see if you have no tokens all you really want to have is 1 high number card and as many low numbers of the same color.
However, having the benefits of a token far outweight the values of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.