Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Vandelay
Canada
100 Mile House
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Where are the artifacts at the beginning of the game?
I have tried to find a sentence somewhere in the set up part of the rules, but cant seem to find anything...
we have just played with them starting off the board, and then they get placed onto the board as people are taking their actions... But this seems like scoring would be weird for certain cards that use the start area...
like points for # of artifacts in the start area or something..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 3 of the (English) rules, "The High Priestess distributes the artefacts to the different areas on the board, however she wishes".

Each time I have taught and played the game, I've invited the novices to place the artefacts themselves, prior to explaining the rules. That's always led to a satisfactory distribution.

However, the rules as written allow the High Priestess to make a placement suitable to her selected Destiny cards, and that may indeed be necessary. We've always left the existing placement unchanged when handing over to the next Priestess, but I recall one occasion when almost all the artefacts were in the centre, and that messed up the scoring of the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is up to the high priestess to set up the artifacts. This is actually an important part of the game as the set up usually allows for some Karma to be awarded and therefore avoids 4 rounds of no / bad karma and resulting banishment. For example if the novices get Karma for each empty triangle then you may wish to leave all the triangles empty to guarantee that the novices will receive some Karma each time.
The set up also is important in helping novices learn the religion. As with the last example, if a novice notices that he receives less Karma than the last player after moving a piece into a triangle he is more likely to realize that the commandments are linked to the triangles.
I hope that made some sense.
Basically, the set up is a key part of the game and should be tailored to the 3 commandments of the current round. It should not generally be a random event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Meyer
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@Fraser: I could not have explained it better ;-) Thanks!
Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 3 of the (English) rules, "The High Priestess distributes the artefacts to the different areas on the board, however she wishes".

But are all the appliances placed?

Tahnks for answering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, she should place them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.