Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm itching for a small, cheap game that can play with anywhere from 1-4 players. Yes, I know, that's Catan Dice. But Catan Card game also looks more fun, despite it's two player limit.

Because I am currently at work, I can't access click buttons on BGG. I don't know why. But I would like to read a Catan Card game review, so if you could give me a link to one or some, that would be great!

Oh, and please give your opinion on which game, in your opinion, is more fun, regardless of player amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the card game, never played the dice game.

Dice game link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27710

Card game link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/278

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the dice game, dislike the card game because of the memory element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, they are VERY different games.

The dice game is pretty fun in a Yahtzee sorta way. You roll dice to get resources to build roads, settlements, cities, and knights around your scorecard. There is not much strategy involved at all, so it will appeal to people who aren't too into games. It's a great inbetweener game for your game group cause it is nice and short.

The card game is much more akin to vanilla Catan. Lots of strategy and player interaction with the other person. In the card game you actually have to worry about resource management and your opponent thwarting you. I may be called a blasphemer, but I think I actually like the card game better than Settlers itself. Oh, the card game also is not a short game. I average around an hour.

Personally, I would go with Catan Card Game. The dice game is fun, but it hasn't got too much play around here. If you don't mind another recommendation for a cheap game good for any number of people, take a look at Bohnanza when you get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry for the confusion, I can get to the game pages fine, just not reviews for Catan Card Game. I already read the one about it being an airport game, but that review didn't help. I need another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
Like the dice game, dislike the card game because of the memory element.

What do you mean by memory element? Like the mathcing game called Memory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks Keith! After reading the reviews for the Dice Game, it does sound VERY easy. That would be well suited to playing it with my parents who hate learning the rules to big Eurogames. If I can leapfrog off of Yahtzee, then they'll probably enjoy it.

Catan Card Game, however, is only playable by 2. If it is more fun than the full Settlers game like you say, I'm totally in! Settlers was fun, but too long and tedious at times. I'll have to read the rules before making my final decision.

(And sorry for triple posting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee and I love the Catan card game, but it's definitely a eurogame with a sort of "Settlers theme". There can definitely be a memory aspect to it, but if neither person is trying too hard to remember more than one or two specific cards' locations, it doesn't negatively impact the game (it might if one person is really good at it and the other isn't; I don't know). The expansions box adds a nice variety as well, and I'd definitely recommend it as well. It's not an airport game - it takes up too much space and takes too long, I would think. If you really are looking for "Settlers, but smaller", then I'd suggest the actual original game's travel edition. I can't speak about the dice game at all, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice game isn't bad, if you don't expect too much from it. It basically is themed Yahtzee. Definitely easier to teach and quicker, than the card game, but really, I can't say it was really an improvement over Yahtzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card game is an ok substitute if your a Catan addict but do not have enough players.

Dice game is simply miserable, and should be played only if you want to be cured of your Catan addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suggest Monopoly Express well before the Catan Dice game which is a goofy and long version of Yahtzee. (An overpriced for what it is. If Hasbro had produced this it would be shunned by everyone on BGG.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an awesome version of Yahtzee try Cosmic Cows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the cardgame, the dicegame is kinda meh. But: the cardgame can get too long and tedious as well. So if you're looking for a fast game, Catan cardgame is not. Usually took us 75-90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my expectations for the dice game were much lower than others that have posted and it's more fun than Yahtzee (albeit similar). Heck it even helps players new to the catan games memorize what resources are required for each of the improvements in the standard game The card game is great but as one other poster mentioned it's not a travel game by any means as it takes a ton of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
card game naff large space need and fiddly rules to rember didnt like it.. dice game ok dice roller for end of the night or tiny travel game.. but its more or less roll the dice 30 ish times and see who was the luckiest...but then i dont realy know the rules to yahtzeee

alternative card game San Juan good 2 -4 players awsome my best game reccomend this above the 2 catan games.
alternative dice game Cantan dice is fine but maybe browse Monoply express, Knights or Cant Stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Game is small, portable and playable solitaire. It also will have great appeal to "non-gamers" as it is in the Yahtzee mold. However, it is a nice little game and it will introduce people to the look of Catan (the hexes, roads, cities, commodities, etc.) and that might well lead into the playing of the board game down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
card game naff large space need and fiddly rules to rember didnt like it.. dice game ok dice roller for end of the night or tiny travel game.. but its more or less roll the dice 30 ish times and see who was the luckiest...but then i dont realy know the rules to yahtzeee

alternative card game San Juan good 2 -4 players awsome my best game reccomend this above the 2 catan games.
alternative dice game Cantan dice is fine but maybe browse Monoply express, Knights or Cant Stop

I already own San Juan, and it's an okay game. I play it with my non-gaming dad, and then I have RftG to play with my gaming siblings and uncle. I was hoping that the card game would be similar to San Juan in that it would be somewhat simple to learn and teach, but then a bit beefier than San Juan.

I've played Can't Stop and didn't like it. But I'm not much of a party game guy if it doesn't have to do with vocabulary. I'll look into Knights and Monopoly Express, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to buy Catan Dice Game, and it actually okay! I played it solo at work a couple times, and it works nicely, especially since it's pretty quick. But I find that it IS pretty shallow and monotonous. But it's okay for the $10 I paid for it. If I am to get another solo game, I think it'll be the RftG expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.