Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this game is really great, and it packs a lot of strategic and tactical challenges into a small box. After playing a few games, I encountered some questions regarding the cards, and I'm wondering why all of you think about them. I don't believe these issues have been addressed in the rules or on bgg.

(1) Caballeria: The card says that a group of up to 3 French can essentially move twice through one of the "road zones." Can a group outside Madrid be ordered to move into Zone 16, with three of those five cubes being allowed to move into another zone per Cabellaria (assuming of course that Zone 16 was enemy free)? I think this would be a pretty good combo, if allowed.

(2) General Legrand: The card says that the French player chooses which French group leaves behind a unit. If the French orders only one group movement inside Madrid and the rest from outside Madrid, is he forced to leave behind a unit during his movement inside Madrid? For example, assume the French orders "16-15 and X-20." Would he be required to leave behind a cube in Zone 16? As I understand the rules, the French player must move all units from outside the city when ordering them to move into Madrid; thus, he can't leave one cube outside Madrid per General Legrand. Is this correct?

(3) Las Manolas: The card says that a Spanish unit or group cancels a French movement from outside Madrid into Zone 20. Does the Spanish player have to have at least one cube in Zone 20 to cancel the French movement?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Echasketch wrote:
I think this game is really great, and it packs a lot of strategic and tactical challenges into a small box.

Thanks!blush

I'm really glad you like it!

Echasketch wrote:
(1) Caballeria: The card says that a group of up to 3 French can essentially move twice through one of the "road zones." Can a group outside Madrid be ordered to move into Zone 16, with three of those five cubes being allowed to move into another zone per Cabellaria (assuming of course that Zone 16 was enemy free)? I think this would be a pretty good combo, if allowed.

Yes, the French are allowed to move to area 16 from outside and then, a group of 3 units detach and fulfill a second movement... Not a bad combo.

Echasketch wrote:
(2) General Legrand: The card says that the French player chooses which French group leaves behind a unit. If the French orders only one group movement inside Madrid and the rest from outside Madrid, is he forced to leave behind a unit during his movement inside Madrid? For example, assume the French orders "16-15 and X-20." Would he be required to leave behind a cube in Zone 16? As I understand the rules, the French player must move all units from outside the city when ordering them to move into Madrid; thus, he can't leave one cube outside Madrid per General Legrand. Is this correct?

When the French orders troops from outside Madrid to come inside the city, the French player decides with how many units, just as any other order. In your example, the French could decide whether to leave a unit behind in area 16 or outside Madrid

Echasketch wrote:
(3) Las Manolas: The card says that a Spanish unit or group cancels a French movement from outside Madrid into Zone 20. Does the Spanish player have to have at least one cube in Zone 20 to cancel the French movement?

Yes, at east one units is necesary for the card to take effect, even if the Spanish group moves into area 20 on the same turn the card is being played.

I hope that helped! Happy 2009!

Dani
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply! Again, I'm a big fan of the game--the card play, theme, and components are awesome. I look forward to your future designs.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, I learned something new again here...!

monkeyrobot wrote:
Echasketch wrote:

Yes, the French are allowed to move to area 16 from outside and then, a group of 3 units detach and fulfill a second movement... Not a bad combo.

This confuses me and seems to contradict the card's text: "if the first zone is enemy-free and numbered 14, 15, or 16". A group from offboard isn't starting in zone 14, 15, or 16. You seem to be saying that the group can be ordered to move into zone 16, then receive a second (separate?) movement order in the same turn to move one more zone...?! Would that count as 2 or 1 French movement orders?

Quote:
Echasketch wrote:

Yes, at east one units is necesary for the card to take effect, even if the Spanish group moves into area 20 on the same turn the card is being played.

Wow, this also surprised me since movement is considered simultaneous. It would seem like if the Spanish and French units are both moving into Zone 20 at the same time, the Spanish couldn't block them since when they arrive, the French are also arriving already. We had always assumed the Spanish unit had to start in Zone 20 and stay there this turn to block the French movement.

So assuming your interpretation is official (and a Spanish unit moving in at the same time as the French can cancel the French movement), the spirit seems to be that a Spanish unit in Zone 20 any time during the movement phase suffices for blocking the French... so is it also possible for a Spanish unit to start in Zone 20 and move out this turn, while also playing the card to block the French entrance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

This confuses me and seems to contradict the card's text: "if the first zone is enemy-free and numbered 14, 15, or 16". A group from offboard isn't starting in zone 14, 15, or 16. You seem to be saying that the group can be ordered to move into zone 16, then receive a second (separate?) movement order in the same turn to move one more zone...?! Would that count as 2 or 1 French movement orders?

Hi Russ! Happy 2009!

What the Caballería card means is "if the first zone into which the movement is performed is 14, 15 or 16, and enemy free", then you can do an extra move with 3 units. That movement order is in addition to the two normal French moves.

Quote:

russ wrote:
Wow, this also surprised me since movement is considered simultaneous. It would seem like if the Spanish and French units are both moving into Zone 20 at the same time, the Spanish couldn't block them since when they arrive, the French are also arriving already. We had always assumed the Spanish unit had to start in Zone 20 and stay there this turn to block the French movement.

So assuming your interpretation is official (and a Spanish unit moving in at the same time as the French can cancel the French movement), the spirit seems to be that a Spanish unit in Zone 20 any time during the movement phase suffices for blocking the French... so is it also possible for a Spanish unit to start in Zone 20 and move out this turn, while also playing the card to block the French entrance?

Well, as long as the Spanish is there on turn 3 (either starts (but does not move out) or ends there), Las Manolas is playable. But if you leave the area on turn 3, you would no longer be able to play it.

I hope that helped. As usual, if you think the game is better the way you play it, feel free to use your own houserules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moritel
France
flag msg tools
Hello,
is the spanish unit necessary to trigger the event "las magnolas"get removed from the board, killed stopping the French?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fmoritel wrote:
Hello,
is the spanish unit necessary to trigger the event "las magnolas"get removed from the board, killed stopping the French?

No, the spanish cube is not killed during that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.