Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: zombies: left 4 dead?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 4 [+] variant [+] Zombies!!! [+] Dead [+] active [+] Left [+] [View All]
Martin Paget
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I plan to post a left 4 dead style variant of this game as i got the xbox 360 game by valve over christmas and i thought that zombies is an easily adaptable game to "recreate" this great game.

i was just wondering in anyone had any suggestions or rules that they think would be good for this kind of game. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Paget
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh yeah, the focus is on:

* Teamwork
* The special infected zombies
* Safe houses
and
* survival!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

As the original game is focused so much on screwage instead of teamwork, I think the blank cards of 6.66 are probably a must to create some more cooperative elements (and safe house tiles).
You'll probably also have to remove a bunch of the really mean cards from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice one! I've been addicted to the left 4 dead game since release!
If you have expansions you can go for a campaign, where you just draw from one expasion set i.e. Town, leading to military base leading to chopper spawn.
As for Co-op, you could just draw a card on each characters turn and play it on them. i.e. if its a shoelaces untied, they get half move, if it's a shotgun they get the weapon. This allows the zombie deck to act as a sort of AI.
As for the boss infected, when zombies spwan you could roll two dice 2-5 being regular munchers,6-7 hunters, 8-9smokers 10-11 boomers 12 TANK!!!

To recreate the incap rules once a human has lost all thier lives, they are placed on their side and start with a new set of lives that count down one a turn until they are revived by a player spending a turn in their space. After this they get a knock down counter, two knock down counters get them half move. A third will kill them for good.
Zombies should move 4 spaces instead of the regular one AFTER all the players have had a turn, so instead of moving zombies on each players turn all zombies move four spaces towards the nearest human after the humans have all moved.

Just a few ideas, sounds like great idea for a game! Lets hope twilight creations are in the mood to spring for another liscense as LEFT 4 DEAD is pretty dooable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good ideas Adam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds tough to me. IMHO all the flavor in the game seems to come from screwing over the other players with the cards, so making it cooperative would really just be recycling the bits into a totally new game. Why not just make a new game from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Paget
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lots of great ideas there and i will try to include as many of them as i can.
I like the idea of how to spawn the zombies as it gives you a good variety of what your fighting which mixes things up a bit making it on the whole a bit more enjoyable. It also adds the element of the unexpected as you do not always no what you will be fighting.

I thought of changing the rules because with the original rules zombies could get a bit boring and repetative soblue. this should hopefully help to avoid that.

I plan to change the way that the tiles are placed as well so that a new tile is placed when a survivor lands on a tile with a road on it that leads to nowhere. This can then make it seem more like your survivor is exploring the city.

I could also make the spawn points for the zombies the roads on the edges of the map as if they are coming from the edges of the city, and inside any undefended buildings. this can then give you more of a reason to capture buildings.

I also like the idea of when your downed another player must help you up as this again adds to that feeling of teamwork.

thanks for all the helpful ideas, much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentucky Bored Gamer
United States
West Liberty
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rules I wrote and was toying with (but never finished yet) for the past month or so. Feel free to use any that you like. For the example scenario I did, I made a paper 3D model of my local single screen theater since i used to work there..lol.

Methods of play:
Scenario 2 - 4 Player Co-Op
Multiplayer 2 - 8 Players

Player Movement:
1) Roll 1D6

Regular Infected Movement:
1) Roll 1D6 to determine how many infected you may move (you HAVE to move the amount of infected rolled if possible).
2) Roll 1D6 for each infected movement (you may move UP TO that amount but have to move atleast 1 square).

Starting the game:
Each "Survivor" starts with 5 hearts and 6 Bullet tokens. They also have a choice of starting with an extra weapon; Shotgun, Sub Machine Gun, Pistol or Rifle as well as starting with a single pistol. The Extra weapon also comes with 1D4 extra Bullets.
Note: Weapons can be found later if you do not want to start with an extra one.

Items List:

FAK - Heals up to 3 health when used.
Pistol - Damage 1D6 / Range 4 Spaces or Closer.
Shotgun - Damage 1D6x2 / Range 3 Spaces or Closer.
Sub Machine Gun - Damage 1D6 / Range 5 Spaces or Closer.
Deer Rifle - Damage 1D6+2 / Range 7 Spaces or Closer.

When Rolling for damage with a gun, The target must be in your LoS (Line of Sight). If the target is partially covered by a high standing object or wall, subtract 1 from the damage roll. You MUST subtract a bullet for every "shot" you take. On a result of a 1 for damage roll it is a "Jammed Weapon" and you Must end your turn to "Un-Jam your weapon"

When using a FAK you must discard it and it can no longer be used.

Survivors:
Damage(If out of ammo or choose not to shoot) 1D6 / Range 1 / Movement 1D6

Infected Types:

Commons - Damage 1D6 / Movement 1D6 / Health - 3

Hunter - Damage 1D6+2 / Movement 1D6x2 / Health - 5
Has the ability to move at double the speed of other infected (Excluding the Tank). When a Hunter is on the same square as a player they can only be killed by another player who has moved onto the same square to assist.

Smoker - Damage 1D6 / Movement - Range 1D6 / Health - 4
Has the ability to move across rooftops. Has the ability to "Drag" another player towards them instead of making a movement roll. *See Dragging.

*Dragging - Roll 1D6 to determine the range and 1D6 to determine how far towards the smoker the player gets dragged. In the result of a "Full Drag" the smoker can then make 1 attack roll.

Boomer - Damage 1D6 / Movement 1D6 / Range 3 Square radius / Health - 3
Has the ability to Explode causing bile to spray onto the survivors causing temp blindness and a hoard attack.

Tank - Damage 2D6 - Throwing Damge 1D6+2 / Movement 1D6+2 / Range - 1D6+2 / Health - 10
Has the ability to throw chunks of debris at players.

Opening/Closing Doors:
To open or close a door you must spend 1 of your movements to do so and you must be in an adjacent space to the door (Diagonal or Direct).

Player Death:
When a player dies they can still contribute to the game. Here are 2 ways they can still play -
1) Instead of letting all players control the zombies, When a player dies they can assume control of all zombie movement until their character is found.

2) As in a normal turn, When the payers would normally have a zombie movement roll the "Dead" player may use this as their turn as well as the other player(s) who do it normally on their turn(s).

If a player is found the turns go back to normal.

If all players die the game ends and the mission was a falure. In the result of all deaths you can use a competitive method of finding a winner by counting the number of kills each player has. The one with the highest kills wins.

Finding a Player:
If your character has just been killed by a relentless hoard of infected (or due to team-mates not pulling their weight) there is still hope for you yet. As the other player(s) search the current map you are playing on, If they come to a room with a closed door, They can choose to roll 1d6 and see if there are any "survivors" in that room. On the result of a 5 or 6, they found you! No zombies are ever present in a room where a "survivor" was discovered.

Turn Sequence:
1) Combat andy Zombies Directly on your space
2) Roll 1d6 for Movement
3) Combat any infected along your movement route.
4) Zombie Movement roll
5) End Turn

Example Scenario:
"Zombies Ate my Projectionist"

It's been months now since the infection. Streets and buildings are littered with debris and decaying
bodies. You and your team of zombie hunters have taken on the task of a search and rescue, Looking for
supplies along the way wouldn't hurt either....as long as you don't run out of bullets or luck, which
-ever comes first.

The local theater owner has called upon your assistance to exterminate the living dead inside the
theater. Somewhere in there is the caretaker/projectionist of the place. Weither or not the infected
got to him yet is unknown, but likely that they have.Your mission is to completely rid the theater
of it's current undead "movie goers" and rescue the staff member in time. Along your way you may find
weapons, ammo and FAK's (First Aid Kits), You might want to pick these items up. If not for yourself,
for the projectionist..They might have wounds that need tending to.

While Playing this scenario, when a player enters a room for the first time they MUST roll 1d6 to see how many infected there are in there. When entering the auditorium(movie room), Players MUST roll 2d6 per half of the room to accomidate for LoS (Line of Sight).

Multiplayer Method (2 - 8 Player Skirmish):
Standard Skirmish Rules would apply with the addition of the rules mentioned in this document.

Hope they help you out.
-Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Paget
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thats almost a game in itself, well done!

The only things i would say that you need to add there are how to spawn the zombies instead of the original way, and some more information about doors and capturing places.

great variant so far though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO, After playing Left 4 Dead, I too found myself obsessing over the game and trying to figure out how to transform it into a board game experience that's as tense and exciting as the video game.
zombiezombie

The main problem I found is that Zombies!!! is essentially a "screw your neighbor" game. And it rocks at that. But to try and make it co-op game is like trying to make Diplomacy a friend-building game. I just couldn't get it to work.

So I thought, what game does co-op combat really well, and shares some elements with the video game? And duh! I remembered Doom: The Board Game.

Using Doom as the starting point, it was easy to retrofit it to a modern zombpocalypse. A number of the special abilities fit perfectly with the abilities of the zombies in Left 4 Dead, while I also created a few new ones to match the powers of Boomers and Smokers.

I also gave each Survivor a special ability that seemed to match their skills/personality as that was my only one real complaint with the video game. (It makes sense to me that Francis and Zoey should play a little differently and have different strengths/weaknesses.)

The result is a game that (I think) matches a lot of the flavor and tension of the video game, with a heavy emphasis on combat and sticking together.

I've played it solo, two-player (one Survivor player, one Zombie player) and 3-player (two Survivor players, one Zombie player) and it seems to hold up pretty well.

You need the dice from Doom (and some tokens and figures, but you could use substitutes for those) and the tiles and figures from Zombies!!! plus and 8-sided dice.

You can find all the rules and character sheets and zombie reference cards you need to play here.

For clarity. No zombies can enter any named buildings (Safe House or not), so humans can always hide their for a little break.

If you want to more closely recreate the "No Mercy" level from the video game, simply use the Fire Station as a Safe House instead of the Hospital.

Shuffle the Hospital into the bottom 1/3 of the deck, and when it comes into play, fill it with standard Horde Zombies, and attach the Helipad to the back of it also filled with Horde.

It Would also be pretty easy to recreate the "Blood Harvest" level using the tiles from Zombies!!! 4.
I'm working on Safe House contents for that and some rules for waiting for the pick-up once you reach the cabin.

If you've got the components, let me know what you think of the game, and any ideas/questions you have.
zombiezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just started working on a Left 4 Dead style game that will only require you to print off some tokens and have a D20 or 3D6.
Mike i hope you don't mind but i used some parts of your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rxp3r7 wrote:
I just started working on a Left 4 Dead style game that will only require you to print off some tokens and have a D20 or 3D6.
Mike i hope you don't mind but i used some parts of your game.

Sounds awesome!
You'll have to let me know when you're done. I'd love to check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls