Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that I have played this game a few times now in the six months. The rules (described in other reviews) are exceedingly simple and so it makes a good game to introduce to those who don't normally play games. In fact, last night our friend threatened to leave if we made her learn and play any board or card game. Once we explained it to her, she sat through two rounds of this and, in fact, even won one of them. So what's the issue?

Well, last night's games are a perfect example of why I think this game will be shelved permanently for me. In the first game, on the second round our board game nay-sayer stayed in out of boredom and managed to get a lead of 25 over all of us. Luckily, my partner and I had scored big in the first round so we only had to try and play catch up. The fourth player had almost nothing and was way to far behind. Of course, she couldn't catch up and the point spread was massive. I think our nay-sayer had 50 at the end and the loser had 7 which she had scored in the first round of the five. Not fun at all for the fourth player.

In our second game, the first round ended before any treasures were revealed. Two spiders later and we had made zero decisions and lost 3 minutes of our lives. Most of the later rounds followed similarly and the high score at the end of that game was a measly 10. By then, we were all bored and done with it.

I guess my point is this game is too unpredictable. I've played it 7-8 times with probably 3 interesting games. The rest have been over before anyone got any good treasure scores. Either that or one person scores big early and the rest of us can't even catch up in the later rounds due to the hazard cards. I gotta say, I don't mind a good dose of luck in a game this short but compared to far better quick push-your-luck games like the highly underrated Circus Flohcati or the classic Can't Stop, this game is almost unplayable for me. At least it's easy to explain....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not difficult to fix this aspect, if you so choose. A variant like this would change it:

The first two expeditions have sapphires worth 2 points each
The next two have diamonds worth 3 points each.
The final expedition has emeralds worth 4 points each.

As far as being unpredictable, it's designed to be that way, as I'm sure you realize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like wild, unpredictable swings of luck, then Incan Gold isn't for you. For me, it's so fast that it becomes like playing the slots - everybody cheers when somebody gets good fortune, everybody laughs when disaster strikes, and nobody worries too much about fairness or whether there is enough (or any!) treasure in each cave. It's a lot of fun, but if you're expecting fairness then I can see why you wouldn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is our go to game when we have 6-8 of mixed company(gamers and non-gamers). With that many it is rare for only 1 person to stay in alone long enough to get a really big lead. With fewer players it is much more prevelant. But games that play well with large groups are so rare that this game gets a lot of play around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
If you don't like wild, unpredictable swings of luck, then Incan Gold isn't for you. For me, it's so fast that it becomes like playing the slots - everybody cheers when somebody gets good fortune, everybody laughs when disaster strikes, and nobody worries too much about fairness or whether there is enough (or any!) treasure in each cave. It's a lot of fun, but if you're expecting fairness then I can see why you wouldn't like it.

Agreed. Incan Gold and Can't Stop are the poster boys for 'push-your-luck' games. There is more skill there than people might think but ultimately (as the name suggests), there is a lot of luck too.

Even some of the classics like Ra use the 'push-your-luck' mechanism.

On the plus side, finding out you dislike a mechanism will increase the chances of a more successful game buy in future, so things are never a total loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:
Two spiders later and we had made zero decisions and lost 3 minutes of our lives.
Should I break out my tiny miniature violin to play for you?

Give me a break - 3 minutes?!

Now we gamers are bemoaning the loss of 3 minutes whilst playing a for-fun game? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed to read about the short rounds. I ordered this especially for our group that often has 7 or 8 players. Yesterday we tried it and didn't realize we were to shuffle the path back into the Quest deck after each round. So with some hazards already exposed, the next rounds were too short. I was hoping that with a fresh full deck next time (minus any 2nd hazards that "worked" - we didn't use Artifacts) that things would go more smoothly, for more fun. With the ambiguities in the rules I've been digging out all morning I'm ready to shelve this game, too, and I do miss the time I've had to spend researching and the two non-fun games yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.