Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the title really says it all. I have all 4 boxed sets in the Wings of War Universe and at least one plane of each type of mini they've released. My questions is, basically, do I need the blister packs? Do they add anything new?

It seems like I should get Eagles of the Third Reich, as it looks to add some additional German WWII planes for Dawn of War, but other than that, do any of the blisters add anything that my minis don't?

Thanks in advance!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
Well, the title really says it all. I have all 4 boxed sets in the Wings of War Universe and at least one plane of each type of mini they've released. My questions is, basically, do I need the blister packs? Do they add anything new?

If you mean the Recon pack and the like, they do add extra aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Any advice on which two boosters would be the best in terms of new planes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
Sweet. Any advice on which two boosters would be the best in terms of new planes?

Nope, I don't own anything of this game, I just read the BGG entries and look at the minis in my FLGS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

WWI:

Recon Patrol adds more two-seaters. Slower ones, somehow more "in tune" for purists than the ones in WyB!. As miniature you already thave the Roland and the Re8, here you find also Breguet XIV and Pomilio PC. Plus some motre triplanes, that you already have in Famous Aces (the Dr.I as a minbiature too). Not too much added. But a couple of maneuvre decks more and several more airplane cards (more A firing Sopwith Triplanes, a French one, Richthofen's brother and such). A few curious promo cards too.

Top fighters: D.VII and Snipe, that you already have as miniatures. So you just have a few more color schemes (Russian Civil War too) and some curious promo planes too.

Immelmann: all unique until Series 5 will be released. Fokker E.III, Fokker E.IV (including an experimental 3 MGs one - beware of jammings), Morane Saulnier N, Airco DH2. A strange two MGs Halberstadt. Good for earlier years, both for a different game feeling and for campaigns over several years.

Dogfight: all new too, at least until Series 4 with the Se5a will be included. The Se5a and SS D.III/D.IV are featured. The latters are rare but interesting German planes that will not become miniatures for quite a long time.

WWII:

Eagles of the Reich: more Bf.109 E in several versions, with color schemes including Spanish Civil War, many Luftwaffe ones, some other Axis countries (Croatia, Romania...), an Allied plane (Yugoslavia Kingdom) and even a neutral one (Swiss - destroyed Luftwaffe planes in 1940). I found it really useful since DoW has only one maneuvre deck for Bf.109E, while in this way you can feature a proper Luftwaffe patrol.

Flying Legend: more Spitfires in several versions: MkI as in the DoW box, but also the sturdier Mk.II and the Mk.Ib and Mk.IIb with more firepower, for more variated scenarios. Color schemes including fighters and recon planes, plus a few experimental/undelivered ones for what if scenarios (French, Polish, German Spitfires) and a neutral one for Portugal. I found it useful too since DoW has only one maneuvre deck for the Spit.

Have fun,

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea! Thanks a million. I will continue to buy this game for a few reasons, one of my favorite being how helpful you are in supporting your own game. I think that's great!

I'm gonna go get Immelmann, Dogfight, and both of the WWII ones ASAP.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it.

My advice to anyone going for Dawn of WWII is to PLAN on getting Eagles of the Reich-- at the very least.

DoWW2 includes six maneuver decks-- A and B (for Spitfire and Me109) have only one deck each, while C and D (for many other planes, including the Hurricane) have 2 each.

With the contents of one box, your "Battle of Britain" scenario could put one Spit and two Hurricanes into the sky... against...

One Me109 and 2 D- deck planes, neither of which was seen over England. You NEED the extra 109 decks.

The extra Spitfire decks are very useful, not only for BoB things but for pacific fighting. The 2 Japanese fighters included in the game both use the same maneuver deck as the Hurricane. Options are nice.

The WWI boosters have all been worth having, altho there are folks who go for the miniatures and aren't interested in using the plane cards. I recognize the visual appeal of the minies, but there are some very interesting things you can put together with the cards that you can't do with minies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.