Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, love the game! Perfect for my typical gaming audience.

Rules question: Suppose there are two adjacent ingredients already on the board that complete a 2-ingredient recipe in your hand. Can you use a "Switch!" card to interchange them to get "credit" for completion of your recipe?

Thanks,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gattling wrote:
First off, love the game! Perfect for my typical gaming audience.

Rules question: Suppose there are two adjacent ingredients already on the board that complete a 2-ingredient recipe in your hand. Can you use a "Switch!" card to interchange them to get "credit" for completion of your recipe?

Thanks,
Greg

From the rules, emphasis added is mine:

Wasabi! rules wrote:

Play Switch! into the Kitchen, either before or after you place your Ingredient. Immediately select two adjacent squares on the board and switch their entire contents. (Either square may be filled or empty.) You may complete a Recipe by moving Ingredients into place in this way.
[/b]

This is a tough call, but based on the above reading, I would say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Not a tough call at all...that is a legitimate play of the Switch card to complete a recipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Not a tough call at all...that is a legitimate play of the Switch card to complete a recipe.

Definitely legit.

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all!

BTW, how cool is this site!? Within ~30 minutes of posting a rules question, I get feedback from three people, one of whom is the game's designer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gosh, I don't care for this interpretation at all.

This came up yesterday, and we decided "no." The player was making a maki-salmon recipe. We examined the board and found a way for the player to complete the recipe anyway by moving the salmon to touch a different maki. This made the move seem more legitimate somehow.

It feels "gamey" to allow a simple switch around, with no new ingredient touching anything new in order to complete the new recipe. I suppose if the move also completed a new 5 or 4 recipe, too, that would be less unappealing and more clever. I also suspect the rule was stated like this to keep the game simpler (no rule for the exception of the length-2 recipe needed this way).

I'll have to think more about it, but for right now, I still don't care for it. I have no issue with making an exception until I decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cc_TheToph wrote:

Gosh, I don't care for this interpretation at all.

It's not an interpretation, it's a straight-up permitted-by-the-rules and acknowledged-during-the-design-process move.

That being said, if you're using a valuable proactive card like Switch! to complete a 2-part recipe, you are usually wasting the card. Usually.

Thanks for playing!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.