Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Not Sure What Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Chentfant
msg tools
I am looking at some games to get but I am really not sure on which one to get. Could I get some help.

1. The Settlers of Catan

2. Agricola

3. Dominion

What are you thoughts about these two games?

1. The Pillars of the Earth

2. Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig,

It's hard to say without knowing which games you already like. My best advice is to:

- go to each games' page and read reviews (and comments). Scott's video reviews are my favourites, but there are lots of other excellent ones. Try to read negative reviews/comments as well as positive ones to better inform yourself.

- add all the games you already play & like to your collection (go to the game's page, click on 'collection,' then on 'own.')

- then go here to see which geeks share your tastes:
http://www.lautapelaaja.net/bgg/correlation.php

- check out those geeks' ratings of the games you're listing here to see what you may like, based on your shared tastes. You can do this using the 'Geekbuddy analysis' found on each game's page.

Finally, some comments on the games you listed:

1. The Settlers of Catan - GREAT 4P game with lots of player interaction. Many people are well into the hundreds of plays and still enjoy it.

2. Agricola - Very good game which even plays well solo, by all accounts. Relatively long setup, and takedown, and something of a steep learning curve, but the game is worth both. Totally immersive. Its biggest negative is it has the longest scoring process ever.

3. Dominion - should appeal to you if you liked Magic: the Gathering. Lots of other players like it, too, but as I understand it, that's the safest connection. My limited exposure to it suggests it's more thinky than fun (unless your idea of fun is thinky, in which case it's probably both).

4. The Pillars of the Earth - worker-placement game with a little more depth than the more popular Stone Age.

5. Carcassonne - the love it/hate it game: no one is lukewarm on Carc, it seems. I recommend you play it before you buy it: everyone told me I should love it, my tastes suggest I should love it, and I absolutely loathe it! Caveat emptor.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all great games. Based on your other forum posts, I take it that you want something that won't be too difficult to get into.

Settlers of Catan is a straight forward game that many have credited with introducing them to the designer games hobby. The placement of settlements and roads provides a general introduction to asset placement style games, and there is trading in the game (a mechanism present in many designer games). If you are in the United States it is currently just $19.99 USD on Amazon.com -- an amazing price. It is not listed on Amazon.ca, but Amazon.de has it for 20,45 euro.

Carcassonne is another easy game to get into and can provide many, many hours of game play enjoyment. It employs both tile placement and game piece placement. Each turn you have a small, yet significant choices to make (something essential to almost every designer game).

If you or any of your potential gaming friends are current or former CCG or TCG players, then Dominion would be a great choice. Again, straight forward to play, but good replayability and some depth.

Each of the games is different, and some folks like one or two of these but not the others. For instance, some people do not like trading in a game and therefore do not prefer Settlers. Some people do not like map building/tile placement style games, while others do not like the huge amount of card shuffling needed in Dominion. If possible, I would get all three of the above games. If you happen to get just one of these games and find that it doesn't quite fit what you are looking for, then try one of the others.

If you are primarily teaching these games to yourself, then I would suggest Agricola and Pillars as good choices after you have played a couple of the others you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Pick any two of those five at random and purchase -- you won't be disappointed.

You may consider looking at a couple of things on each game's page though -- number of players and playtime. Depending on your situation these could make a big difference, but setting that aside you've culled yourself down to a pretty sweet list.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.