Zar Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nothing is said in the bare rules about the legitimacy such as people blurting out answers such as "Sink" when the letter card is (of course) "S" and the topic card: "Things found in a factory." To me, a sink can be/is found in a factory. but didn't seem legitimate to me (or anyone else for that matter).

I know the rules say something like, any bozo answers can be challanged, no ganging up; so I'll get challanged but theoretically, I think you can find a sink inside a factory, but most people wouldn't think like this, so I feeled "ganged-upon" with answers like this.

I think abstractly and outside the box, so a disadvantage in this game? And is this legal?

Thanks for any response (won't expect any answers anytime soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leong
Hong Kong
Kowloon Tong
Kowloon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ineffable,

I was introduced to the game last week. Depending on what group you're playing with, it'll make you love or hate the game.

In answer to your question, I believe there are two approaches:

1. Before you start the game, set out a rule where things that are too generic or too common are not permitted. For example "dust" or "air" or "oxygen" - technically, you can find these anywhere.

2. Allow the random answers. We happened to follow this rule where everyone would randomly blurt out these common answers. Thing is, everyone has the same chance to do so - it's just that the quickest wins and therefore part of the way the game works.

Hope this helps (though it's been over a year since you wrote!)

Cheers,
sammerz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Ineffable wrote:
answers such as "Sink" when the letter card is (of course) "S" and the topic card: "Things found in a factory."

If I were playing in a game and someone gave this answer, my vote would be thumbsdown for the same reason previously mentioned - while you could find a sink in a factory, that is not something that is generally associated with a factory.

Whenever we play games such as these, we always just put questionable answers to a silent thumbsup or thumbsdown vote. No need for explanations. It really speeds the games up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give Sink a thumbs up. I haven't played a game where someone said something as generic as oxygen or dust but I feel like I'd let it go once but make it clear to not start listing the periodic table of elements. In any case, the rules do state that you cannot use the same answer more than once in a game so you always have that to fall back on.

I'm a pretty loose guy when it comes to party games though, anything to get people to enjoy themselves. Our last game, the category was Things in China and someone said Salmon as the last word. I contested it saying that I believed he just blurted out the first S word he could think of. He said "You don't think they can buy Salmon in grocery stores in China?" That was a valid response to me so I gave him the point.

Play it however it is the most fun to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.