Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natalie Ford
United Kingdom
Oxford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic was a Christmas present this year. I had played it a couple of times in the Summer at a gamer gathering (both times with four players and no success).Small Rodent and I decided to be generous to ourselves so we went for the beginners 4 epidemic version. I was worried that the game would be even more difficult with two than four particularly if we didn't get a good combination of roles. We drew the scientist and researcher roles which seemed like a fairly decent pairing and then started the game.

Small Rodent had gone down with a nasty bout of flu just before Xmas and so starting honours went to her playing the researcher role. She had two yellow cards in her hand which she promptly passed to me. Since I was playing the scientist card and had two yellow cards in my hand it meant I was able to cure Yellow before the end of my first turn.

Next in our sights was blue as once again each of us had two blue cards. After a bit of meandering, clearing disease as we went, we met up and I became the proud owner of 4 blue cards but I did have to use two special action cards somewhat pointlessly just to save from discarding them However, I now needed to hike off to find somewhere to build a research station so it was another turn and our first epidemic before we cured our second disease. By now Small Rodent had collected 6 red cards in her hand and cured Red the next turn after mine.

By now we were both short of cards so we made the most of the next few turns reducing all the towns with three cubes in but not quickly enough to prevent the first couple of outbreaks. Eventually Small Rodent had collected 3 more Black cards and handed them over to me and as I was making my way back to a research staion the third epidemic broke out. This and the subsequent infection phase almost ended the game for us as we only had 4 red cubes in the stockpile and many red cities on the brink of outbreak - if we'd been less lucky on the last infection card that could have been it. However,on the next turn we had all four cures and the game won.

Overall thoughts: This was a straightforward victory without too much danger of losing, even so, we took the eye off the ball a bit with the red region at the end. I suspect this was a case of beginners luck and next time with 5 epidemics and not such a good combination of player roles and start cards it's likely to be a lot tougher. Having said that,I've now decided two players is probably easier than the four player game in spite of my initial prediction.

We both enjoyed the game, but oddly enough, I suspect a near miss would have led to us playing again immediately whereas we were happy to stop with a win under our belts.

Monotreme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monotreme wrote:
I was worried that the game would be even more difficult with two than four particularly if we didn't get a good combination of roles. We drew the scientist and researcher roles which seemed like a fairly decent pairing and then started the game.

It seems counter intuitive, but the game is actually easier with fewer players. I would say that playing with 2 roles and 6 epidemics is actually easier than 4 roles and 4 epidemics.

Your pairing of scientist and researcher was probably the best pairing possible.

Great game for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.