Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-François MOLAS
France
COURBEVOIE
flag msg tools
mb
:cry:

From the official z-man site this gane is now for 2 to 6 players but on BGG it's still for 1-6 players...who is right ?

I really hope this new version can be played solo in fact because the old one is really expansive and components are not that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Z-Man games, this was their response:

Z-Man Games wrote:
Sorry, no solo variant. Strictly the adventure mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder why this changed? I don't even know the game, but plan on buying it and a solo version would have been nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I am sad. One of the reasons I had pre-ordered this was the solo mode.

I understood that the original game had a solo mode- I wonder if this one will allow a determined player to adapt the old solo rules?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
The rules say there will be rules for a Solitaire Variant posted online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's disappointing. All that BGG love for the original's solo playability is the main reason I've been anticipating this one. Now it's going from 'time to preorder' to 'never mind.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realize that you CAN play solo, right? The rules just haven't been released yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a bit confusing.

Can it be played solo or not?

If it can be, is the variant relesed from the game maker itself or a third party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. The game can easily be played solo. It is, after all, just a paragraph booklet adventure.

The first and second editions both had solitaire rules, and they are easily used with the third edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can it be played solo or not?

If you look in the back of the rule book, it says that Z-man is going to post solitaire rules on their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will just need to figure out a way to avoid seeing the outcomes before you make the selection (and not seeing the other outcomes after you make the selection.

Otherwise, it should play about the same. You can probably do it with an index card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules do say that a solo variant will be posted at Z-Man's site. But they aren't there now, and if someone got a response from Z-Man saying that it's just a 2-6 player game, then I don't know what to think.

I did play the game solo last night, though, because I was curious about it. I just dealt out 11 encounter cards, and said that my time limit was 3 times through the deck (randomly choosing new encounter cards each time). When I didn't have a normal Encounter during a turn (such as when I visited a Place of Power or was Imprisoned), I still turned a card over from the deck so that my time would still run out. And, of course, I had to try not to peek ahead when I was reading results from the Book of Tales.

The game wasn't too fun, to be honest. I think that I needed other people at the table to laugh with me and talk about the adventures that we were having. It was also hard to juggle my character's cards, the reaction matrix, and the Book of Tales - more players would have made that feel a lot less awkward. Even if Z-Man does release solitaire rules, I'm not likely to try them now.

(I won, by the way, but barely. I repeatedly had horrible luck, and I suspect that I should have lost. I probably should have put fewer cards in the Encounter deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way I would play this solo. Two players feels almost like solitare as it is. 3 is probably the sweet spot. I made a variant to help the solitare feeling in a two player game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3651244#3651244

I cannnot see how anyone could make a variant to play solo and make it fun. I am sure it would work but if you want to play this game solo just go buy some choose your own adventure books and save the game for when you have other players, instead of wasting the encounters on yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.