Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game and I forgot the rule that creating a 5 in a row nets you VP. I can't say that I really missed having that rule - the conspiracy got plenty of interest from the players. Does anyone feel that this is a necessary part of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the conspiracy puzzle is worth no VPs in itself, so anyone that concentrates on that aspect of the game would miss out - those 4vp chits certainly helped decide the winner in the 3 player we had last night.
That said, I doubt it'd make a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that our group seemed to feel there was enough incentive in trying to connect certain parts of the conspiracy and for the bonuses. I'll definitely play the right way next time, but I wonder if it is necessary in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of implementing a house rule that gives out the 4VP chip for connecting up a link in the conspiracy rather than for 5-in-a-row. Consider it a guaranteed VP bonus for the link, as the link itself is variable and may not give you any bonus (i.e, you connect up the favour bonuses but then some a-hole wipes out all your favours on the last turn - at least you still got the 4VPs for the link).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm thinking of implementing a house rule that gives out the 4VP chip for connecting up a link in the conspiracy rather than for 5-in-a-row. Consider it a guaranteed VP bonus for the link, as the link itself is variable and may not give you any bonus (i.e, you connect up the favour bonuses but then some a-hole wipes out all your favours on the last turn - at least you still got the 4VPs for the link).

That's actually a decent idea, and makes much more sense to me too.
After all, making a row or column of 5 is totally irrelevant unless they actually connect something up. That said, it does make those Haas or Jinteki puzzle pieces considerably more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Is it possible that this incentive would make for a lot more conspirators? The incentive to block off a link might be heavily diminished. (ie. another player may have 3 street favors that you would try to avoid linking those in for the conspiracy. if it comes within your power to prevent that, you might just connect it anyway for the 4 points.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Someone isn't going to connect a conspiracy if the 4vp bonus doesn't at least equal what they suspect the bonus VPs will give others over him. So the only people who will connect it will be the people who will benefit from that connection.

The rules as written, though not particularly thematic, give people different, and sometimes competing motivations for engaging in the conspiracy puzzle. Making a connection might make it easier for someone else to score a 5-in-a-row bonus and vice-versa. Players who aren't going to be scoring a lot of the bonus VPs still have reason to pay attention to that part of the game.

A bonus for connecting a conspiracy seems obvious. The fact that the written rules differ is suggestive of play testing determining that some other non-link motivation was needed to get players involved in the conspiracy so it worked as intended.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.