Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep looking at this great geeklist by Coltsfan76. Thnx again for that geeklist, I keep checking it regularly!

However, right now all I think want to do is add more Arkham encounter cards to the base set. Not sure I want to add a bunch of other stuff to get the game even more complicated. We just completed our first game doing, I think, everything right. I want to get a few more plays under my belt before expanding further. However, we did notice that we were getting many of the same cards for Arkham location encounters that we have had for the past 3 days. So it might be nice to expand those a bit so we don't get them memorized.

So which expansion is best to get that will keep the base game pretty much status quo and just give us the "extras" I am looking for? Based on the geeklist above I understand that dunwich is probably the best expansion to get first, but I was thinking a small box one might be less "menacing" (the base game barely fits on my gaming table as is!). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thnx in advance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically I suppose, the much disliked Dark Pharaoh adds the "most" AH Encounter cards for the small-boxes (45 vs 36 for KiY/BG). Yeah, it's really only the addition of 1 per neighborhood, but looks like a lot more, doesn't it ? Personally, I like DP (in the minority here). Sure, it's got wording issues, but it adds a little bit of everything into the game, while upping the difficulty, esp. to the OW encounter deck. Black Goat would be my #2 choice, gate bursts are the best thing since base-AH. KiY, unless used in the temporary/visiting seems kinda "meh" to me. You see it here and there, but nothing that catches my eye really.

Black Goat Herald is the hardest mofo. It adds a lot of new twists regarding the rules, making life difficult for investigators and players alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, it's really only the addition of 1 per neighborhood

One? One what? There are more than one Arkham encounter cards per location in the DP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently did a Geeklist about what is in each expansion hoping to have a place for people to go to discuss them. I didn't get a plethora of responses, but it might be helpful to you.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37820

My honest opinion, to answer your question, is that CotDP adds the least amount of "changes" to the game, so would be the most "bang for your buck" if all you are wanting are things that add to the basic games. However, any of the little expansions will add those things and King in Yellow and Black Goat are stronger overall in my opinion. Black Goat is probably the most accessible right now and you might like the new monsters to add to your supply. If you don't play with its herald it is pretty much just the base game with some extra cards and monsters (CotDP doesn't add any monsters). That would be my suggestion.

The advantage to CotDP is it adds no new mechanics (no gate bursts even) to your basic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
The king in yellow and black goat are both very good. Only problem is: each expansion only adds 4 cards to each Arkham encounter. It might be enough for you.

Another solution could be to buy a big box expansion, and only add the encounters. Each big expansion had 8 cards for each Arkham encounter deck, doubling the available encounters. You don't have to add the other stuff from the expansions if you don't want. But it might be nice to have access to it when you feel you're upto it. 8 extra investigators and 4 extra GOO will also help out, and those are not available in the small expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CotDP adds 45 encounters - 5 per location - some are intertwined witht eh Curse theme

DH adds 63 encounters - 7 per location - these are pretty much stand alone but do duplicate some from AH

KiY adds 36 encounters - 4 per location - tied to the Play theme

KH adds 36 ecnounters - 4 per location - pretty much standalone

BGotW adds 36 encounters - 4 per location - tied to the Cult theme

Based on that, You'll probably get the most bang for your buck with the little expansions as you can add in a few encounters to shake things up without feeling like you wasted too much money. And if you decide to add other components, it isn't that overwhelming.

Personally, I would still recommend Dunwich. It's more expensive but you can also add Injury and Madness cards, 8 investigators, and 4 GOOs even if you don't use the Dunwich board. It gives you the "purest" Arkham only adds. And when you decide to add the rest of the box, you have a lot more to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's really only the addition of 1 per neighborhood

One? One what? There are more than one Arkham encounter cards per location in the DP.

Brian's post touches on what I was talking about. DP has 45 AH location cards, which comes to 5 per neighborhood. BG and KiY have 36, which comes to 4 per. 5 vs 4, that's 1 more, no ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Loya
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good thread. I was looking for something like this.

BTW, ColtsFan, I would look at an inability to convert a 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes left in the game before griefing about any refereeing.

But hey, I'm a Texans fan, I'll trade with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Colts' suggestion regarding Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion.

If I could only keep one, it would be it.

It is mostly for the Injury/Madness options and extra characters/GOOs.

The board and other cards are a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rauli, seems we non-native speakers sometimes have communication problems.
Of course, one card more of each AH encounter in DP than in KiY...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fracguru wrote:
BTW, ColtsFan, I would look at an inability to convert a 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes left in the game before griefing about any refereeing.

No, I won't deny that. I could only see what the TV cameras showed so I don't know who blew their assignment on the right. Clearly someone should have adjusted since Addai was part of the play on the left. But also not good that Manning was blind on his strong side.

I also would have called the next play differently. I think I would have taken the Safety and given them 2 points. We still would have had the lead but it should have moved them about 30 yards back and might have taken enough time to keep them out of an easy field goal to tie the game (though the downside would have been a sure win had tehy made the field goal anyway).

I can still grieve the refereeing from that worthless crew. It's not like I am alone. They throw the most flags of any crew, were banned from the Meadowlands for 3 years, and were tagged by Tagliabue as the worst NFL officiating he's ever seen. I like to get beat fair and I am not sure there was anything fair about their calls. But I'll get over it ina few days or weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say thnx to everyone for your input.

I picked up Dunwich Horror this afternoon based on all the great input here.

Now to just get it to the table around doing renovations in our living room/hallway (new paint, new flooring, etc)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.