Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
{Background: This was our 3rd game. We had lost both the previous ones... the second in the very last event of the last gnome...}

Epic and statistics seem not to match, but is there any better description of an epic victory that computing what were the chances of surviving a series of unavoidable die rolls?

I'll leave aside the heroic behaviour of the late cryGreen Gnome, who managed to extinguish the fire in the equipment room, allowing us to try a very desperate attempt to get an aqualung to face the Krakenzombie. Without a fire extinguiser, he had to resort to grog. Had it been the only grog he'd taken, he probably would have survived (don't blame him: the previous grog intake was to douse the heat), but he sadly fell unconscious and a later fire killed him.

The late Yellow Gnome was not available to rescue him: just after repairing a badly damaged engine he was trapped in the engine room, with both hatches blocked. Then the low water raised robotin the worst possible moment... Neither the Orange Gnome was available, busy as he was fixing the oxygen pumps.

As for me, Grey Gnome, all I initially could do was to help our hero, fixing the hatch to room 6 (our only way out to fight the Kraken, as both rooms 3 and 9 were in fire with all hatches broken) and later handing him a timely harpoon.

Our hero, Red Gnome, managed to beat the Kraken with dismal odds (were it not for the harpoon). The next crisis was the reactorzombie, critically hot, with all hatches locked. Our hero had second thoughts: I am already outside the sub, what if I don't come back? He must have telepatically heard both Orange and Grey screams: you only have air for one turn and you have already spent it killing the Kraken!

Our hero made up his mind, then gambled on timing cool(he had a "duck" to skip 3 events... with 4 events left... and a reactor that just could cope one more surprise {remember we had lost the 2nd game on a similar situation}. He used a first action to repair the newly blocked 6-5 hatch in almost no time... but with a timely crowbar. He opened the blocked 5-4 hatch with his last action... and a second even more timely crowbar.

There was I, the last active Gnome, waiting in room 5, with that lovely reactor manual I had kept for several turns, waiting to use it. I had almost no time left... but I eventually managed to repair the reactor and we saved the day!

Here you have the relevant statistics of the last few minutes:
1) Find an Aqualung in the Equipment room (2 out of 15 chances, aprox)
2) Kill the Kraken in one minute with a harpoon (1 out of 2 chances)
3) Repar the 6-5 hatch in another minute with a crowbar (2 out of 5 chances)
4) Avoid a last lethal heat surge (4 out of 5 chances, aprox)
5) Repair the 5-4 hatch in 3 minutes with a second crowbar (3 out of 5 chances)
6) Repair the reactor in 3 minutes with a Manual (3 out of 5 chances)

That makes it 0,55%. Isn't that pure epic!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun, very lively session report. Love the colors. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My math (2/15 * .5 * .4 * .8 * .6 * .6) comes out to 0,77%

C'mon, that's a walk in the park. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction. Must have been the extra grog taken after the gamecool!
In fact there is another mistake gulpin the first item of the list (it was 2/15 just for the first object, as no one had an Aqualung, neither recalled having it recently discarded, and there still were 15 objects left in the equipment room; but Red Gnome took the usual 4 of them, so the true proportion for the first item is 1-(13/15*12/14*11/13*10/12), just below 1/2).
This makes the final epic score... 2,74% (similar to throwing a 12 on 2d6).
A slightly less epic adventure from an statistical point of view, but a wholly enjoyable gaming experience from any other point of view!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.