Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel McCollum
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll start this review by assuming that you know what Blokus is (tetris, corners, grid, blah blah blah.) If you don't, you're already on a website with tons of great articles explaining it. This review focuses on the Travel Blokus version of the game.

#1 You walk into your local game store and see a copy of Travel Blokus on the shelf.
a) "Travel Blokus? I already own regular Blokus." Go to #2
b) "What is this Blokus you speak of?" Go to #3
c) "Pansy abstract! Maybe they have Advanced Squad Leader in the back." Go to #7

#2 You begin to ponder whether you need another game in your collection that rhymes with Schmokus.
a) "Y'know, I play Blokus a lot with just one other person, but I never travel with it." Go to #6
b) "Blokus might be fun to carry with me on a picnic or to a coffee shop to play with my wife/husband/pet." Go to #5
c) "Blokus is four players or not a game at all!" Go to #7

#3 You ask the extremely friendly and knowledgeable chap that works at the game store (don't laugh!) what Blokus is and he/she explains that is a good abstract strategy game using pieces that look like they fell out of a Tetris game.
a) "Abstract! I love abstract! My firstborn's name is Dvonn." Go to #5
b) "Abstract! I hate abstract! My firstborn's name is Twilight Imperium III (named after me and his grandfather.) Go to #7
c) "I dunno. This could be fun, but I'm not sold." Go to #4

#4 You pull out your wallet and take a look inside.
a) You see cash overflowing your wallet. Go to #5.
b) Not much money, but you spot a credit card not quite maxed out! Go to #6.
c) A moth flies away as you open your wallet, and you curse yourself for spending all your money on a gold plated Monopoly set. Go to #7.

#5 Buy it now! This is a very fun game. It is a touch confrontational as you are only competing against one other person. I find it to be a lot of fun and perfect to bring with my wife and I to play at coffee shops. This version is cheaper than the large version, travels very well, and can give you a taste of the game before you take the plunge for the larger game.

#6 It's a toss up! This game is a lot of fun, but you can play it on a regular Blokus board if you mark off a 14x14 grid in the center. This obviously won't travel as well, but you'll then have the option of playing with 4 if you'd like. If you can routinely play with 4 players, that is a better game than 3 or likely 2, so it would be better to buy the full game.

#7 Walk on by, nothing to see here! If you don't like abstracts, this won't change your mind about them. If you never travel with your games, the portability isn't a plus. If you can easily afford full Blokus, the travel edition won't offer anything new. If you can't afford travel Blokus, you need to spend your money more wisely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun review - I really dislike that it's been renamed "Travel Blokus" as "Blokus Duo" (which is what it says on my copy) is a much better name, and more accurate - it's Blokus for two players and it's a great 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which name came first? It seemed to me that my early (?) "Travel Blokus" copy preceded "Blokus Duo."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know actually. I seem to recall that Blokus Duo was the European name and then when it came to North America it became Travel Blokus.

The other reason I prefer Blokus Duo is that it then shows up with my other Blokus games when I sort my collection alphabetically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.