Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Walczak-Slusarczyk
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend we played Chinatown for the first time, and I have one question about choosing building cards:

Do players choose buildings simultaneously )they reveal them at the same time), or according to player order? We tried both, and in my opinion second option is better, especially during the last round - there is smaller chance that you will get a building that nobody wants, and you can put there a lonely time. But drawback of this version is that some players are first twice, others only once.

Solution for this drawback can be choosing buildings one-by one: firs player chooses first, second chooses first... first player chooses second etc. But in this way this can take way much more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this a few times and always played with a simultaneous reveal. I like the idea of trying it in turn order though. I think next time I play it I will suggest that. The only drawback I see is that it gives a bit of a disadvantage to someone who has to go first or second twice during the game. I guess you could switch back to simultaneous after everyone goes first once. The last round or 2 usually gives everyone a pretty good pick of their cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by choose bulding??? I tought you pass the card everybody discard the amount in red on the reference card and then all player put there marker on there bulding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Walczak-Slusarczyk
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes - you get some cards, choose few from them and discard the rest. But I was curious about the moment of revealing them. When you can choose building cards when you know what previous player(s) have chosen it may have some impact on what you do. This way you can sometimes take cards only to have something for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok now I get it sorry I din't understood. I admits could be interesting.

Maybe I'll try that next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this the other night and really enjoyed playing this way. I plan to play this way from now on. Great idea, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as per the rules:

Proceed according to the following :
The number of tiles drawn varies with the number of players and the round in play.
Each player draws as many tiles as indicated by the red number.
Shop tiles are kept face down until every player has drawn their tiles.
All Shop tiles are revealed simultaneously, so that trading can begin at the same time for all players.

same goes for building tiles.

having said that, the per player will give an advantage to the last couple of people getting cards as they can fill in the needs and make bank on the need. (if alot of factories are pulled, then they get something else...etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.