Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so here's my first session report for Monsterpocalypse. This covers my first two tournament experiences at Dream wizards in Rockville, MD. In fact, these were my first games of MonPoc ever!

After arriving and checking in, I assembled my force. I had originally decided on using Sky Sentinel and the Guard, but due to the fact that my most recent order of unit boosters hadn’t arrived from Hill's wholesale gaming (due to the new year's holiday), I found myself short of enough Rocket Choppers to really effectively use Sky Sentinel's ability. Thus I chose Defender X, fresh off of recent surgery to repair a broken waist. My force was as follows:

Defender X + Ultra

4 G-Tanks
2 Elite G-Tanks
2 Rocket Choppers
2 Elite Rocket Choppers
2 Mobile Ops Centers
1 Repair Vehicle
1 Interceptor
1 S-type Shinobi

I threw the Syndicate units in my force to round it up to 15 figures, but they never really saw any play.

Building-wise, I fielded the following:

2 Nuclear Reactors
1 Radar Installation
1 Oil Refinery
1 Gov't Building
1 Bank Headquarters
3 Downtown high rise
3 Apartment buildings

The tournament was set to be three rounds, seeding based on performance so far, with points scored for each form destroyed, with a tie-breaker of total damage done (to prevent those who fought against Cthul players from being denied victories). While it seemed a good tie-breaker at first, it would later backfire on me. Each round had a 15 minute setup, 1 hour playtime limit.

My first match was against Rich, who was fielding an all-Terrasaur army led by Alpha/Mega Armodax. This was my very first Monpoc match. I lost the roll-off, so I got to choose the map, and chose Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I figured the large central road would channel his monster, while the loop of water would provide me a bit of an advantage in mobility unit-wise.

Early in the match was a lot of securing and position of units to secure a strong power up. I realized that Ultra Defender X had explosion on his blast attack, and flight, so I quickly flew out to my right flank and blasted a large grouping of units and buildings. Rich responded by advancing next to a building and screening himself with a raptix to prevent a devastating slam, he did not screen all sides of his monster, which allowed me to fly over next turn and throw him onto a building and several units for 3 damage. His response was to head-butt me out of Ultra form and power up himself. In the end, time ran out and I won on damage done, but no forms destroyed on either end.

Record: 1-0, No Points 6 Damage

Second round, I was paired up against a gentleman, who, like me, was only on his second game ever. Also like me, he was fielding Defender X with a mixed GUARD and Syndicate unit pool. I won the die roll, and he selected the Smashville map, as he did not have the map pack.

This match was a very even, back and forth affair. I charged up the right side of the map, laying waste to a lot of units and buildings, while he pushed forward on my left side and used explosion to good effect. We each destroyed the other's Ultra form, and I held a one damage advantage going into his final turn. He was attempting a throw that would do 2 damage to me, if it landed, which would be enough to secure the win for him. He needed 6 hits to land the throw, but had no power dice to boost it up. The dice were thrown and the hits were counted. One, two, three, four, five, and... that's it. No throw, no damage, and I squeaked by with another win.

Record: 2-0, One Point, 15 damage

The third and final round of the first tournament was up. At that point I was in third, with a 2-0 record and 1 point. The top two paired off, being 2-0 with 4 points, and 2-0 with 1 point, but higher damage than me, respectively. So, technically, I was still in the running at this point, but it wasn't completely in my hands.

My third opponent was again running Terrasaurs, but with Terra Khan as his monster. I lost the roll off, and again selected the Boulevard of Broken Dreams as the map, seeing as how the water provided a good maneuverability advantage to the GUARD.

I kept to my basic strategy, using units to secure a strong power base, between the nuke plants, the high rises, the gov't building, and the Guard Monsters ability that grants an extra power die if you're holding buildings at power-up, I was fully replenishing my power dice each turn for only one monster die. That freed my monster up to go after some high probability attacks. My opponent, on the other hand, was using the flank and frenzy abilities of his units to good effect to cause damage on unit turns as well as monster turns. Though with as many boost dice as he was getting, he probably could have split his melee attacks and been doing 2 damage on a unit turn, rather than one high percentage hit.

In the end, the onslaught of power attacks I was able to unleash (on his side of the map, no less) proved too much, and I won by destroying both of his forms, while not losing either of mine.

Final Record, 3-0, 3 points, damage irrelevant, placed second

A brief break, and several players left, leaving four of us for the second tourney. Given that two of those players had to leave after one match, the Organizer decided to make it a one round match, with ties being decided on points and then damage. My opponent was again the GUARD Player from my second match, eager to have a second go at me given how close our last match was. I won the roll, he picked the Flip side of the Smashville map (four buildings around the power point in the middle) and off we went.

My first unit turn I jumped out and secured a lot of good power producing buildings, while he positioned his units more for attack potential. My first monster turn produced enough power dice to allow me to go Ultra, and fly over to his side of the map and blast (with explosion) a good portion of his power base. That spurred him to go after my power base as well to deny me the power dice, but unfortunately at the cost of doing damage with his monster. A few bad rolls on his part, including a Ultra Blast attack at a Rocket Chopper on the center power point that would have destroyed all of the surrounding buildings (he only rolled 2 hits, and only destroyed the Chopper), and I was able to secure the easy victory with a final punch that robbed him of his last damage in Alpha form.

End result 1-0, 2 points, 11 damage, only 2 damage taken

However, as the other pair was playing Cthugrosh against Ghorghadra, the Cthugrosh player won by destroying both forms, and as Ghorghadra has a total of 13 life, he won the tie-breaker because he caused 13 points of damage. I tried to argue that he had suffered much more damage than I had, and as such I should win the tie-breaker as we had both done maximum damage to the opponent, but the Organizer disagreed, and I missed out on the Mega (Armodax, I believe it was).

In the end, I had a blast playing, and I learned much more about what makes the GUARD work. I wish I could've played a much more varied set of opponents, as I only faced GUARD and Terrasaurs, but I'm sure I will next tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Steve SMASH!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report!

For variety, hopefully me and another guy will show up next time (we both were extra busy this weekend, after the holidays and all). That'll add a SSS/Martian player and a Cthul/Planet Eaters player, so you'll have more varied opponents to go up against!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Of course, I may be fielding something else, depending on how my draws from the unit boosters I hadn't yet received work out. I may or may not be able to make the next event, depends on my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a full breakdown of the scores for the first tournament, along with what monster was being run by each player.

1st Place: Ty 3-0, 6 pts - Defender X Alpha/Ultra
2nd Place: Andrew 3-0, 3 pts - Defender X Alpha/Ultra
3rd Place: Dan 2-1, 2 pts - Sky Sentinel Alpha/Ultra
4th Place: Antonio 2-1, 1 pt (ahead of Rich based on Opponents’ Winning %) - Ghorghadra Alpha/Ultra
5th Place: Rich 2-1, 1 pt - Armodax Aplha/Mega
6th Place: James 1-2, 1 pt - Terra Khan Alpha/Ultra
7th Place: Charles 1-2, 0 pt (ahead of Greg based on Opponents’ Winning %) - Rogzor Aplha/Ultra
8th Place: Greg 1-2, 0 pt - Deimos 9 Alpha/Ultra
9th Place: Jerry 0-3 - Defender X Alpha/Ultra

So that's 4 GUARD, 2 Terrasaur, 2 Planet Eater, and 1 Martian Menace armies at the event, for those keeping score at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.