G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my kids had enjoyed Ticket to Ride, I decided they could probably handle this. After reading the rules it seemed to be on the same complexity level.

I did decide to make a small change. The three options during a turn were:

- Get money
- Buy a building tile (and place on your Reserve Board)
- Build (take from your Reserve Board and place on your Alhambra) or Redesign (remove or replace a tile from the Alhambra.)

This seemed to remove some of the fiddlyness associated with the Redesign aspect.

We did screw up on our first scoring, and forgot to score walls all the way thru. Also, we messed up on the extra actions (we did not limit it to a maximum of five.)

Since we are familiar with the mechanics and flow of the game, and everyone seemed to enjoy their time, we will advance to full official rules on our next play.

A note: A four player game seemed kind of slow. Maybe it was so because it was our first play.

I wonder how the five and six player games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm...I'm confused as to how you could get more than 5 actions on a turn. When you buy a tile from the market, you don't replace it until the start of the next player's turn. So the best you could do is buy all 4 tiles exactly, getting you 5 actions. Glad to hear you had fun with the game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time we bought with exact change we started the action count again.

Between getting money, buying tiles or placing/remodeling tiles we did more than five actions till we couldn't do any more.

By carefully sequencing our actions we could have bought all four tiles, but we also could have taken all the money in addition to doing some remodeling (this particular example never happened, by the way.) That would have taken more than five actions.

I did separate the buying from the placing aspect, so maybe it wasn't as damaging to the overall game play.

It was an error on my part: I just wanted to get the first play going, and did not bother going thru the rules again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I think you still have a problem in your understanding of the rules.

herman_the_german wrote:
Every time we bought with exact change we started the action count again.

What action count? You should be doing one action, and one action only, on your turn. An exception occurs if your one action is to buy a tile with exact change, whereupon you may take one action in addition to the purchase that you just made (and if that is to buy another tile with exact change, repeat).

My guess is that you allowed each player, in his or her turn, to collect money, buy tiles and redesign the alhambra, even if exact change was never spent. This is incorrect. Players choose only one of those three options.

And from the sound of it, your intention for your next game is to allow a player to, during a single turn, buy a tile, collect money and redesign, and for each tile bought with exact change also buy another tile. This would still be incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played it with six and didn't like it at all. too long between turns and the alhambras didn't get very fancy. we keep it to four maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
I think you still have a problem in your understanding of the rules...

Thanks for the clarification. Now I have to go back and see what made me think it was that way.

I'm glad I posted.

Later:

OK, went back.

Rules say: "The player... ...must do one of three things... ...it is possible to carry out a maximum of 5 actions." And I guess I sorta filled the rest in in my mind.

We played it right the second time.

And it does make more sense. It speeds up the turns from one player to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to echo agreement on the four player max. Although if you're playing with kids and strategy's not a concern, it's not as big a deal, but the kids are apt to get bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.