Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ebent
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"It prowls the land following both the herd and the hunters looking for the right opportunity to strike its prey!"

The overall idea I had was, I wanted one more mechanic and a mechanic that seemed valid in a game where you try to gain the most points was only logical to create a mechanic to take them away and add a theme to it and voila a smilodon aka sabertooth!

I had created a small sabertooth meeple in the silhouette of such(currently out of sculpy,painted tan orange) in proportion to the hunters and mammoth meeples (just about the same size as the hunter) and added a game mechanic to add one more strategic value to the game. It can kill hunters, and mammoths, which removes points and prevents points. Now Sabertooths are ambush predators so I'm working with that knowledge so it adds to some chaos.

You move the sabertooth around via some "sabertooth" dark and light cards to the different regions, adding a new phase to the rounds allowing you to move and attack(attacking can be a choice).
I'll be playtesting this and posting up the stats/cost(stone worth) of the cards when I'm done testing. And how many (equal number of light and dark) I will be using depending game balance. I'm starting with 3 of each.

Attacking (choose prey, hunters or mammoth in region sabertooth is occupying his possible prey):
Dice to the mechanic to roll to see IF any hunters (roll of 4,5 and 6) are killed, followed by how many: dice roll: on a roll of 1 one is killed, a roll of 2 two are killed and on a roll of 3, 3 hunters are killed, rolls 4-6 are misses)

Or if a mammoth is killed(a roll on a 5 and 6) prey is chosen before roll. Which removes points. The thought behind this add on addition to the game is to create the strategic mechanic to be able to remove your opponents points.

When a hunter(s) or mammoth is killed remove them from the board to the supply area or respective player ready for use again to place on the board.

Still waivering on those dice rolls. As the Sabertooth was a powerful creature that took down large prey, was an ambusher not a long distance runner. So small prey such as humans may escape easier.So those may change depending on game balance and how much the rolls effect the game in a large or small way.

Now I'm wondering if its worth adding in critical misses. Like on a dice roll of 1 on choice prey of mammoth or hunter, the smilodon dies and is removed from the board till another light or dark sabertooth card places on on the board. Maybe gain a point for killing the
sabertooth...?

This is still all still in playtesting. I will also create a printable pdf reference card for the mechanics of the sabertooth add on, after its playtested and kinks worked out.

critique is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is your playtesting on this coming along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ebent
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My current playtesting of the game and addition of the sabertooth add on has helped me come to the conclusion, that some of the basic game has glitches or rules that are not needed or odd and limit strategy with players. And Ive also realized that depending on how i see which is best with current rules I can simplify my sabertooth add rules with some tweeks to either the games base rules or the rules im testing. Currently still playtesting a littler further on it. I hope to have some final rules to test across the BGG people to get a final opinion in the summer. Its just been tough finding time to play test them around a 7 month old baby and gathering my boardgame geek buddies.

I do promise to have them up. I'll try to post a update as to my progress on this add on with the addtion of my finished sabertooth meeple in photograph. Its quite cool looking.

If this sounds at all confusing I'll try to clarify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.