Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I played Doom the first time, I thought it would be cool to make a campaign based on the original Knee Deep in the Dead from the classic PC game. I've been playing around with the editor and have tried the Hangar map and think it works well. Here's what I have so far:

Campaign rules: The only enemies in this campaign are Zombies, Trites, Imps, Demons, and Z-Secs (zombie security). I'm not sure about the trites?
Z-Secs are shown on the map as ArchViles. They have move=3, armor=2, health=1, attack=d10-9d10-3d10-5 (or something like that; I still haven't figured it out).
EDIT: I'm also thinking of setting their attack power as d10-7d10-5. I would like them to be a somewhat weaker version of the zombie commando.

The Barons of Hell at Phobos Anomaly will be Hellknights, but their attack will be ranged and have an extra green die.

Treat spawn cards with Archviles, Hellknights, and Mancubii(?) as Z-Secs. Starting at Toxic Refinery, Mancubii spawns are treated as demons. At Phobos Anomaly, Archviles and Hellknight spawns are also treated as demons.

Each scenario has an exit switch, represented by a yellow teleporter. The Invader wins if he scores 6 frags. Marines win if they are all in the exit room and one marine is on the exit space.

EDIT: I'm considering letting the marines move 5 spaces when advancing, 10 when sprinting (or even 6 and 12). The marines were constantly running full speed in the original game.

M1: Hangar
Scenario rules: When a marine enters the room before the exit room, add the disconnected secret area to the East side of the toxic goo filled room.

M2: Nuclear Plant
Scenario rules: When a marine ends his turn on the '?' in the first room, he finds in a maintenance access door bullet and rocket ammo and a switch that grants the marines blue door access.
When a marine ends his turn on the other '?', it unlocks the yellow door (grants the marines yellow access).
The tiny room with two health and a bullet ammo box is an elevator. These two doors cannot be smashed, and whenever one door is opened the other closes automatically. If a demon is blocking the other door from closing, the first door cannot be opened.

I haven't written all the flavor text, yet, but it will describe rooms as they appear in the original game (some rooms are actually outside, for example).

Also, not all of the rooms/halls connect correctly, so there are some overlapping pieces (like the corner before the exit on the second map). The overlapping piece doesn't stick up too much when the map is setup, fortunately.

M3: Toxin Refinery (haven't placed the invaders, yet, but you get the idea)
Scenario rules: Ending a turn on the '?' grants red access.
There are a lot of toxic pits on this map. When a new room is revealed, goo pits from other rooms may be drained (removed) by the invader player so new pits can be placed.

M4: Command Control (just started it and subject to alterations. It's already using nearly every room/hall piece in the game.)
Scenario rules: Picking up the blue key will probably spawn imps blocking the spaces out of the enclosed area. The '?' encounter will grant red access (raise the bridge). The 3-length obstacles can be 'lowered' (removed) from old rooms by the invader player to place them in new rooms, since I put more on the map than there are in the game. The room with the rocket ammo will have the trap that lowers the obstacles and places Z-Secs and imps its place.

M8: Phobos Anomaly (as of right now)
When the Barons of Hell are dead, add an end piece with the exit teleport on it to the top of the map. The grates are actually the one-way elevator that takes the marines to the 'x' spaces when they are all on it.

That's what I got so far, anyway. I'm open to suggestions on how make them better or truer to the originals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice job! quite impressive as it represents the original game maps exceptionally well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you! These look awesome... Now I just need to actually play my copy of Doom. Sadly, I have the game AND the expansion, and I have never played either one (not mine, or anyone else's). cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Very sweet. Compile these as a PDF, and I'd love to put them to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Good for you! These look awesome... Now I just need to actually play my copy of Doom. Sadly, I have the game AND the expansion, and I have never played either one (not mine, or anyone else's). cry

Jack--I'm in the same boat and have a real hankerin' to play this one. We *really* need to get a game-night together for this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:

I HIGHLY recommmend Doom. It's very tense for the Marine players and loads of fun for the Invader as he trys to stop them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Ever since I played Doom the first time, I thought it would be cool to make a campaign based on the original Knee Deep in the Dead from the classic PC game. I've been playing around with the editor and have tried the Hangar map and think it works well.

Thanks for all of your work on this. Any well thought out additions to this somewhat neglected game are very welcome to me. The fact that they are based on the original game scenarios is even better!

Once you get some feedback I would love to be able to get my hands on a finalised version if you can manage it.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments! I still am not sure about whether I should keep trites as an available monster, and I'm not sure about the Z-Sec's attack, yet, but when I get a chance to solo through all of them I'll upload a file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Thanks for the comments! I still am not sure about whether I should keep trites as an available monster, and I'm not sure about the Z-Sec's attack, yet, but when I get a chance to solo through all of them I'll upload a file.

Just as a thought regarding the Zombie Security, is it really worth working out the details of a slightly weaker Zombie Commando? Personally, when the Zombie Commando is already available in the game I would be inclined to K.I.S.S. and just use that.

Then again, as you have gone to so much effort in this project already then maybe you have a specifc reason that justifies creating a third zombie type for the game, thematically or otherwise.

Either way I am looking forward to the eventual file upload zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheetor wrote:
Aarontu wrote:

Just as a thought regarding the Zombie Security, is it really worth working out the details of a slightly weaker Zombie Commando? Personally, when the Zombie Commando is already available in the game I would be inclined to K.I.S.S. and just use that.

Then again, as you have gone to so much effort in this project already then maybe you have a specifc reason that justifies creating a third zombie type for the game, thematically or otherwise.

Either way I am looking forward to the eventual file upload zombie
I guess the main reason is that I wanted to have a lot more zombies than regular Doom scenarios. I thought the zombie commando was a bit powerful to fill in for the "shotgun guy" from the PC game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm done with M1-M5 and M8, so far. Here is M5: Phobos Lab:
The Goo Pit Balcony '?' raises the Goo Pit Catwalk. The '?' in the Goo Lab Area connects the 'Plain Hall' between the Plain Room and Courtyard. The '?' in the computer area flips to a grate when a marine steps on it; marines can go between this grate and the grate in 'Hall 1'. The blue teleport goes to the red X in the start area, or the X in the Dark Lab area if marines have the blue key (the marines can choose where to go when they use the teleport).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's M6: Central Processing:

The map uses so many pieces, all of the "tank" areas are removed from the board when the marines leave the tank areas with the yellow key. I would like to make the corners of the 'tanks' goo pits, but there isn' enough in the game, and I only want them to be 1 square big, anyway; the Invader should use glass beads to indicate the goo or maybe just tell the marines that the corners have goo and not show it on the board. A lot of the 'X'd obstacles are removed and replaced with invaders when the marines get keys. The goo pits at the sides of walkways are secret areas similar to the 'locker' in scenario 1 in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This looks badass. Again, thanks for going to all of this trouble.

I am looking forward to sitting down for an entire day of Doom playing all of the old levels at some point soon. Keep it up please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheetor wrote:

This looks badass. Again, thanks for going to all of this trouble.

I am looking forward to sitting down for an entire day of Doom playing all of the old levels at some point soon. Keep it up please!
Thanks! I really appreciate it! When I get the time, I'll try to test them all to make sure they are somewhat balanced. I'll probably adjust the number of frags the invader player needs to win, rather than change the number of monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is E1M7: Computer Station

It looks sparse on ammo, but a lot of it is in the secret areas (the grate in computer area 2 is a lift that gives the player ammo and a rocket launcher. Jumping off the South side of the catwalk gives the player a chaingun and bullet and rocket ammo. Jumping off the North side lets the marine access the "secret area"). The '?' lowers the obstacle in the hall. There are 2 yellow doors; one of them will probably be a regular door that the Invader has to tell the marines it needs the yellow key. I'm not sure of a better solution for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the maps shown have been tweaked/changed a bit by now. Also, MegaSpheres and invisibility powerups are on the maps now. The secret exit has been added to M3. The only map left to make is M9: Military Base.

I think I've settled on the following campaign rules:
Z-Sec: 2 armor, 1 health, 3 move, ranged attack: d10-9d10-5 +deadly. 6 Z-Sec figures for each color (uses both archviles and all 4 trites or zombie commandos)

Barron of Hell: Uses Hellkngiht figures. 4 armor, 4 health, 3 move, ranged attack: d10-7d10-3d10-3d10-5 +knockback.

*I've considered making the basic zombie into "shotgun guy" by dropping his health to 1 and making his attack ranged with the same dice, but I think I'll keep it the way it is.

-4 armor is the maximum any marine can have (synonymous with 200% armor from the PC game).
-Marines move 5 spaces when they advance and 10 spaces when they sprint
-Would it be weird if you could use grenades? I'm planning on taking them out.

MegaShpere - +6 health, can go over max (use adrenaline boost token if you don't have expansion)
Invisibility - cannot be attacked for 2 turns (use berserk token if you don't have expansion)

Any time you would spawn a trite, archvile, mancubus, or hellknight, spawn a Z-Sec instead. Starting at M3, a mancubus spawn card is treated as a demon instead.

So far I've played through M2.
M1: hangar - Invader needs 4 frags to win.
M2: nuclear plant - Invader needs 6 frags to win.

Observations:
-The chainsaw is very useful against all these zombies.
-Most of the weapons used use the red die.
-Moving 5 spaces helps the marine a lot, letting the marine run away from a horde of enemies when he's done with an area, or backtrack quickly through already explored areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is brilliant work, where is M9??!!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
This is brilliant work, where is M9??!!

ninja

Thanks! I have done some of the mission texts, but I still need to do M9. I haven't figured out how to do it in a way I like yet, but I'll be working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think you will put out a zip file with the whole bundle? I'm hoping to get the expansion this weekend (already ordered) and then set up a campaign, and this would be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptRavage wrote:
Do you think you will put out a zip file with the whole bundle? I'm hoping to get the expansion this weekend (already ordered) and then set up a campaign, and this would be perfect.

I probably will. I had a baby a little while ago and life has gotten really busy. I just don't have the time to playtest these missions.

I'll compile a zip file of them with the mission descriptions when I finish them. I'll try to get it finished and up within the next month.

Thanks for the reply, it helps me get motivated to finish it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Lipa
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are father now Congratulations !!

about Your maps ? well, when You have time - We (Doom fans) will be here for You waiting.

You already did a great job! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
stasiekl wrote:
You are father now Congratulations !!

about Your maps ? well, when You have time - We (Doom fans) will be here for You waiting.

You already did a great job! Good luck!

I second that. I'd be happy to play test these too. Will post here when that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats re fatherhood and all that

Whenever you get the time to zip the scenarios together I will be glad to play them and give you feedback. I have even located a few suitable "shotgun zombie" miniatures that I am preparing for it

Although playtesting is obviously important if you have a handle on the rules (which I am sure you do) then I am sure it will merely be tweaking, so dont stress about it. Getting the main draft done is the main thing.

Once I have played them I will post up our findings too if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo yay! Finished M9:

If a marine picks up any item in the pentagram room, the invader can immediately spawn a demon and imp for each marine player into the pentagram room (these monsters can spawn within marine LOS).

The ? in Switch Room removes the obstacles in the Side Hallway. The invader replaces the obstacles in South Room with the blue key and 2 demons.

A marine ending a turn on a grate will find an access tunnel with a chaingun, health kit, and 2 bullet ammo boxes. After exploring the tunnel, the marine can start his next move on either grate.

This map also has the double security door problem that M7 has. I recommend airlocks as security doors if you have the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done sir! This is just what the game needs. A return to it's roots!

Also, I applaud the effort you took to reconstruct so many maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.