Combat Commander: Pacific» Forums » Rules

Subject: Artillery Denied Marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
O24.1 step b) says that something must be chosen if I play a communication established asset request even if that is the artillery denied marker

Question 1)

If I select (or have no choice) the artillery denied marker as I right assuming that this prevents me from using artillery for the remainder of the scenario?

Question 2)

The marker affects me and not my opponent?

Question 3)

Is there any way to get rid of the marker?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit dumb but I cannot find any indication what this marker actually does anywhere in the rules other than 24.1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qubilai2001 wrote:
O24.1 step b) says that something must be chosen if I play a communication established asset request even if that is the artillery denied marker

Question 1)

If I select (or have no choice) the artillery denied marker as I right assuming that this prevents me from using artillery for the remainder of the scenario?

Question 2)

The marker affects me and not my opponent?

Question 3)

Is there any way to get rid of the marker?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit dumb but I cannot find any indication what this marker actually does anywhere in the rules other than 24.1

The artillery denied marker fills your "radio" box, and thus prevents you from choosing "communications established", as you can only do that when the radio box is empty.

It affects you, by filing your radio box.

I think it is no way to get rid of it, so what it does is denying you a radio for the rest of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you usually only have 1 chance to get a radio, and that's your first roll. If you want to make it more likely, use a reconnoiter card to check the top card, if the roll gives you a radio, then put it back and play asset request. If not, then your taking a chance on the next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools

Thanks for help, this is the way I've playing it but wasn't entirely sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I cannot find any indication what this marker actually does anywhere in the rules other than 24.1

Because that's the only time the marker has any effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
Indeed but O24.1 only says how you get one not what it actually does. Whilst my assumptions about the effects of the marker were correct, I was seeking clarification.

I must say I really like the idea of the asset request/denied as it doesn't have the feeling of frustration I get in CC:E/M when I have a hand of artillery denied/request cards (even if the card in itself is not useful all the time)

Just a quick query, why no smoke bombardments? Were smoke bombardments not used in the Pacific?

All in all another excellent game (I've played two scenarios so far, A and B and the its 1-1)

Sagar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
qubilai2001 wrote:
Just a quick query, why no smoke bombardments?

In my reading and other research I got the distinct impression that artillery-laid smoke screens were used far less often in the PTO as compared to Europe. So it was an easy design decision to get rid of the capability altogether for CC. This comes with the side benefits of (a) making the rules a bit lighter and (b) requiring fewer smoke counters.

Of course the door is still open for future CC scenarios to have a special rule allowing smoke-making capability via radio should the specific battle being portrayed require it. But I felt that for CC the default setting should be "off".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.