Subject: Just added a Microbadge that (to me) seemed needed... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a general info post to let folks know (who might be interested) that I created a Microbadge a few days ago to address what I considered to be a glaring, shocking deficiency in the Microbadge options - a "PC Gaming" Microbadge.

There was one for all 3 console systems but not one for the most ubiquitous gaming platform of them all, and for my money, the best one.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a new PC. A mega monster type thing. My last one was 8 years old. 1.2 GHz.

So, in the interim, I got my xBox 360.

I like having the selection of both.

But I HATE not meeting some requirement on a PC game, which is why I went xBox.

I don't think I really have a favorite as a system per se. I have games I prefer on one or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Paul. Why limit yourself to just one system anyway? There are definitely good games on every system.

For me, it's a matter of the control scheme, type of games on consoles, the actual gaming ergonomics involved, the cost, and the better graphics and game options with PC gaming.

I don't like using the gamepad for FPS games on consoles, I find it innately inferior in every way to using the Mouse/Keyboard - granted it is superior for racing games and fighting games, certainly. The types of games on consoles don't really excite me (I do like some platformers and fighting games are fun for a few days but that's about it for me). Also, I dislike sitting back on a couch, disconnected from the action by distance and posture - I prefer to be up closer and more connected to the action via PC gaming. Then there's the cost issue - with console games costing around $10-20 more than a PC game AND when you factor in the cost of the HDTV necessary to achieve comparable resolutions to PC games, it's just really pricey to be a console gamer these days. Ironically, one of the main gripes about PC gaming was always the cost but I just built a killer gaming PC (better in every way technically that current-gen consoles, save the CPU in the PS3 - and that's never going to be fully utilized anyway) for around $500-600 total!

Finally, the games just look better and provide more options, in general, for tweaking your gameplay experience on the PC.

Those are the reasons that keep me easily in the PC gaming fold over console gaming. When you factor in that PCs are easier than ever to use (nearly every game now provides auto-updating and for those that don't you have STEAM or GameShadow to help make this a breeze, or Windows Vista), the only real advantage provided by consoles seems to have greatly diminished (imho).

But that's not really the point of this thread, I suppose. LOL Hopefully there are some folks out there who will appreciate this little Microbadge for PC Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, PC gaming is the last refuge for actual gaming nerds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently bought the 'video gamer' microbadge. I game on consoles far more than the PC nowadays - mainly Xbox 360 and Playstation 2.

PC gaming is fine and dandy, I just hate all the patching/crashing/upgrading that goes into it. The last PC game I was truly into was WoW, and I've been clean for about a year. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really haven't played any PC games since WoW outside of a little Titan Quest, and Spectromancer. That's partly due to some great console games, partly due to my new board game hobby.

I've also recently gotten into the Shin Megami Tensei RPGs on the PS2. Those are some time drainers.

I'm done rambling now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea Anthony, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I just recently bought the 'video gamer' microbadge. I game on consoles far more than the PC nowadays - mainly Xbox 360 and Playstation 2.

PC gaming is fine and dandy, I just hate all the patching/crashing/upgrading that goes into it. The last PC game I was truly into was WoW, and I've been clean for about a year. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really haven't played any PC games since WoW outside of a little Titan Quest, and Spectromancer. That's partly due to some great console games, partly due to my new board game hobby.

I've also recently gotten into the Shin Megami Tensei RPGs on the PS2. Those are some time drainers.

I'm done rambling now.

Like I mentioned, if you build a system and use the auto-updaters built into nearly every new game AND into Windows, you'll not see the issues that you're speaking of these days. It's pretty sweet and every bit as easy as owning a console, from what I can see.

But like I said, there are some fun games on every system.

Thanks for the kind words, Byron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Also, PC gaming is the last refuge for actual gaming nerds.

Hey!! Us nerds.... I men, them, THOSE nerds, yeah, over there! ...maybe they just like computer games AND board games, or just games in general?

In seriousness, thanks for the badge - I'll add this one to my 'love to have!' microbadge wishlist. As a gaming enthusiast, I find more and more my gaming time is being spent on the computer (especially as I can't seem to interest my lovely wife in gaming!) There are some great opportunities for turn-based style computer games that I find mimic all I enjoy in complicated boardgames - depth, replayability, complexity, strategy, tactics (yes, those two are different!) etc.

So, thanks again for the badge creation - sounds like it was certainly needed!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased the 'video gamer' microbadge too. I do a lot of gaming on the Xbox 360 and my PSP, but I prefer the PC for games such as Morrowind, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate 2, NWN, Starcraft etc. which can be modded or played via LAN.

Thanks for the badge. Once I've saved up enough for an avatar, I'll definitely buy this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair - while there hasn't been a "PC gaming" microbadge, specifically, many of the PC games DO have their own.

Just looking at the ones I've created:
Video Games: Sins of a Solar Empire fan
Video Games: Deus Ex fan
Video Games: Unreal fan
Video Games: Doom (VG) fan
Video Games: Day of Defeat fan
Video Games: Half-Life fan

...heck, one for the PC gaming distribution/community platform 'Steam':

Video Games: Steam fan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great, Xander. Good work, sir!

My only gripe is that I dislike the nomenclature "videogames", considering that more apropos for console gaming than PC gaming. For all kinds of console/PC games, I use the term "electronic gaming." Ironically, however, EGM used that term and didn't really cover PC gaming at all. But they've recently announced that they're closing that magazine so it's not really worth griping about (and my condolences to those losing their job over at that mag).

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Those look great, Xander. Good work, sir!

My only gripe is that I dislike the nomenclature "videogames", considering that more apropos for console gaming than PC gaming. For all kinds of console/PC games, I use the term "electronic gaming." Ironically, however, EGM used that term and didn't really cover PC gaming at all. But they've recently announced that they're closing that magazine so it's not really worth griping about (and my condolences to those losing their job over at that mag).

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Oh, I agree entirely. Even aside from mine, there are BUCKETS of other games in the 'Video Games' section that are PC-only. The Monkey Island games, Civilization, Counterstrike, Eve Online, Everquest, Grim Fandango, Morrowind, Myst, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

However, the line is definitely blurred in some areas. 'Oblivion' - PC game? Well, it certainly looks and plays like one, but...it's on the consoles, too. Team Fortress? TF has been a PC-only game for more than a decade, but the latest version also got a console release.

What with so many games being on multiple platforms nowadays, it's tricky if you want to have a 'game' microbadge which section to put it in if you segregated them.

An option, of course, is to use a better catch-all for it - myself, I'd prefer "PC/video games" as the section name, but...for most people "video games" works fine. That's certainly what the wife calls them, and we've never owned a console.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Err, you cant get anything from the TOTAL WAR series on console, PC autowin!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any notes on here on the geek or suggestions from you as how to create Microbadges? Do you just use Photoshop at a certain pixel size and color set? Do you use something else? Is it just saved as a gif?

I really want to make some Thunder Road microbadges! I couldn't find any and was appalled!!

Anybody know if there are any out there and I'm just missing 'em?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I remember seeing a thread on creating microbadges over in the 'how To BGG' forum... sadly, I'm waaaaay to lazy to actually go over there and get a link for ya....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.