Subject: Machine gun in melee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a machine gun in a melee hex be used for the Suppressing Fire event? To suppress another unit in the melee hex?

I'm not making this up, it just happened in Scenario B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Yes. The event requires a "functioning" machine gun which is defined by E77. Furthermore, 19.1 states weapons can't fire, but otherwise function normally.

So a machine gun in a melee hex is functioning and can be used for Suppressing Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Can a machine gun in a melee hex be used for the Suppressing Fire event? To suppress another unit in the melee hex?

I'm not making this up, it just happened in Scenario B.

I have images of the gunner picking up the gun backwards and swinging it around like a giant club. I'd be suppressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
beresford wrote:
To suppress another unit in the melee hex?

Realized, I didn't clearly answer this question...yes, another unit in the melee hex is certainly in range and LOS of the machine gun, so you can supress another unit in the melee hex.

The melee hex has only two effects

(1) Units/Weapons can't fire from a melee hex (19.1) nor be activated to vire (O27.2)

(2) A melee hex can't receive a fire attack nor have a SR placed in or adjacent to it.

Neither of these effects interfere with the resolution of E77. Suppressing Fire either in terms of preventing the use of the machine gun or in preventing that hex from being a target.

Edit - Thanks Chick. Yes, I meant can't instead of can in (2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In (2) above I believe you meant "CAN'T" rather than "can".

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard. I knew that the literal interpretation of the rules allowed this, I just wanted to make sure that it was the design intent. Obviously units spend a lot more time in Melee hexes before resolution than they did in CC:E, so there is a lot more scope for them to be affected by Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.