Alien Hotshots» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lopez
United States
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
"Alien Hotshots" in an update on the timeless (leaving the word "classic" out, I mean come on...) card game "War". Let me say up front that there is nothing here for adults to really latch on to, but kids might like the more elaborate card interactions so if you find it in a bargain bin, just give it to them to destr, ur, I mean play. The deck consists of "Aliens" (2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12) of which the "2" has the special "inedible" and the "4" has the special "germ proof". The remaining cards are "Odd Eater" (trumps odd numbers), "Even Eater" (trumps even numbers except "2"), "Space Germs" (everything except "4" and modifier cards are sucked under it), "Black Hole" (removes cards from the game for good), and the modifier cards "Plustoid" and "Minusaurs" which are used to add or subtract from the values of cards in play. Play is simply flip over your top card and compare value/abilities.

The "Plustoid" and "Minusaur" cards are the only thing that gives the game any interest whatsoever. Basically when you draw these, you can store them off to the side and then later use them to modify the values of the cards to your advantage. However, as drawing them is completely random, it just reflects how lucky you are. In the case when there is a tie for a hand, you drop two face down cards and then play the next one face up (ala "War"... surprised?). That's it. Just a random card dump with a few trumps and immunities to make it feel a little fresher, and the modifier cards which are the best idea presented, but even those don't contribute much except make those who draw them luckier than those who don't.

Can't really recommend this one, even for the kids except as something to pacify those who can't fathom anything more complex.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.