United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Do you always rubber band your card decks?
Yes
No
I use tuck boxes
2. Do you bag your counters/pieces
Yes
No
I buy counter trays
3. If you answered no, why not?
I'm a free spirit
The compnents are in better shape if they slide around than if they're tightly bound
I'm lazy
I don't shop for household stuff like plastic bags or rubber bands
Other
      643 answers
Poll created by ralpher
Since joining BGG, I've done a few trades and found that most people do not bag their counters or put rubber bands on their cards. Either that or they reuse those bags and rubber bands immediately before trading the game. Since I've gamed as a kid I've always used ziplock backs and scrounged for rubber bands to keep my cards together. Now I have a rubber band ball from Officemax that I use for rubber bands and now there are a lot more choices for plastic bag sizes than in the 80s and 90s.

What's the reason for not doing so? Laziness? Cheapness? Fear of the cards being damaged by rubber bands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bag everything including cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As do I, although there are better ways to manage cards than baggies. Paper sleeves is one option. Tuckboxes a better one. Rubber bands are not an option because over time they melt and damage the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Fear of the cards being damaged by rubber bands?
Yes!

Rubber bands will decay and ruin your cards. It's just a matter of time. Perhaps now your collection is small enough that you will play the game often enough to notice this, but as it grows and you look at many games less frequently, the rubber bands are working their deadly rubber magic.

Then..one day.. sad, sad times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, too!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
my completely accurate but unhelpful answer is:

IT DEPENDS !

sometimes I sleeve cards and store the cards in _________
a) tuck boxes
b) just ziplock baggies
c) the game insert when it is helpful

sometimes I use ________ for game counters
a) counter trays
b) ziplock baggies
c) (rarely) nothing at all, commando style !

mostly I just bag stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to wrap card decks in plastic wrap rather than bag or rubber band them. Keeps them together and doesn't run nearly the risk of damaging them. The rest of the stuff gets bagged generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent trip home I found found copy of Dune, the 1979 board game, that I'd bought as a kid. I hadn't opened it in over 10 years, and while I had carefully stored the chits in little envelopes (so they were fine) the expired rubber bands had glued onto the two decks of cards. Even after removing the husks of bands, they left a mark on the cards.

Rubber bands are bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Hoffman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully, my game stores provide baggies in various sizes, and I also go to magic card shops to buy their plastic card boxes because I got sick and tired of my rubberbands breaking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Calabrese
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Happy Halloween!
badge
Happy Halloween!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bag my counters/pieces and use Hugo's amazing tape to hold decks of cards together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
ralpher wrote:
Yes!

Rubber bands will decay and ruin your cards. It's just a matter of time. Perhaps now your collection is small enough that you will play the game often enough to notice this, but as it grows and you look at many games less frequently, the rubber bands are working their deadly rubber magic.

Agreed. Rubber bands are a very bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape! Just find another place to buy it as Hugo charges too much for a roll of plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know about rubber bands. now that I think of it, I found some rubber bands over 10 years old that melted onto the cards of my game of Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O
United States
Encinitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the counters in bags, bind the bags with rubberbands, then encase everything in concrete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Η
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also bag everyting unless there are appropriate compartments in the box that hold the components of the game safely.

As mentioned earlier by others, using rubber bands is a no-no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard plastibands are a good way to go but I have yet to try them. The amazing tape looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
I used to bag cards until I discovered the joy that is TUCKBOXES. I've made over 100 of these things now, and have created about 25-30. I've never used rubber bands, at first because they were too likely to snap, now because they can melt and ruin the cards.

I sort all my bits, either in baggies, counter trays, or Plano-style boxes, depending on what I feel is the best way to hold them all. The one time I took my storage out of a game before trading it is when I took all my Plano boxes out of Conquest of the Empire. But I put everything in plastic baggies before giving it away.

I would never knowingly ship a game that didn't have all its bits neatly tucked away in some manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
HGBlob wrote:
I bag my counters/pieces and use Hugo's amazing tape to hold decks of cards together.
Yep, that's exactly what I do. Hugo's Amazing Tape is wonderful stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Anybody know where to buy this Hugo tape in Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

I've had more damage done to unprotected cards than I have from bands of any type. I've used food grade bands to good effect (They are wider, and I've never seen them leave decay residue.) Besides, if you don’t use your game before the rubber band decays, you don’t really deserve the game anyway. Games are for playing!

I’ve also made paper bands, kept cards in baggies, created tuck boxes, and found other boxes to fit my cards. On a couple occasions I’ve created trays for my game boxes to fit all the cards.

And of course - I tape the corners of my boxes to reinforce them. (Not often, but it's better than keeping a partially exploded box on the shelves.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
I put the counters in bags, bind the bags with rubberbands, then encase everything in concrete.
Yes I used to do it this way too, then my shelves started to REALLY sag, so I stopped,

Now I have 5 or 6 different sizes of baggies and just bag everything. And the good news is most of my shelves sprang back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've had ... issues ... with rubber bands. My Mayfair Cosmic Encounter is basically unplayable now because of rubber band damage to the cards. Ideally, I put my card decks in hard plastic card cases.

I also prefer to group small sets of cards that are best kept distinct in a cardsleeve (usually using a wide cardsleeve for narrow cards). Each of my 9-card action-card sets for Race for the Galaxy is in its own sleeve. In Fury of Dracula, each player has a prearranged 'packet' - hunters with their basic combat cards and the turn summary card all together in one sleeve, Dracula with his combat cards, Agent combat cards, and power cards in a sleeve. In Agricola, each Occupation deck (E, I, K) has a sleeve for its 1+ cards, another for its 3+ cards, and another still for its 4+ cards. And the Z deck is in its own sleeve.

When a game has a lot of pieces that need to be 'banked' or otherwise kept distinct, I tend to try to find a plano-box-style solution. I've done this for BattleLore, RoboRally, Agricola, and Galaxy Trucker. Otherwise, baggies will do - but generally, craft bags, not kitchen ziplocs. The craft bags are usually available in assorted sizes and you can choose the ones that best suit your needs without excess bulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsonist Aunt May
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
ralpher wrote:
Yes!

I wonder if this depends on the humidity of where you live? Out here in Colorado, where it's pretty dry, I've never encountered rubber band meltage.... the bands usually snap well before they can melt on to anything. And several months ago I played a game of Stop Thief that hadn't seen the light of day in about ten years. No meltage.

Plus, what else would you flick at someone that stole glorious victory from you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Calabrese
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Happy Halloween!
badge
Happy Halloween!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Second vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape! Just find another place to buy it as Hugo charges too much for a roll of plastic.
I get it here.

I linked Hugo's site cus it has a good explanation how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Do you use a new piece every time you put the game away? Seems like you could go through a roll pretty quickly. I use bags since I can reuse them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |