Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a search through the forums for this game and didn't find much info other than the core game supports solitaire rules and there is a suggestion to use pennies for hidden units.

I downloaded the rules and there is a short paragraph about solitaire play...

What I'm wondering is, is it assumed that the solo player will play both sides?
When I read that this game supported solitaire play I was hoping for some kind of (even if crude or random) AI progression for the opponent.

The game seems awesome but if this is what solitaire play consists of, I'm not sure I would really enjoy it.

Just looking for info on how others are playing the game solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:

Yes, that is what is assumed. As someone new to wargaming, I found this to be totally bizarre, but apparently it's fairly standard. Conflict of Heroes is pretty much my favourite board game, but I don't think I'll ever be playing it solitaire (unless some kind of enemy "AI" is constructed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:

Just looking for info on how others are playing the game solo...

That's it. Standard practice for wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe "standard practice" for some wargamers, but certainly not all. There are, after all, plenty of actual solitaire wargames, designed to be interesting to play as solitaire games. To say a 2-player game is suitable for solitaire is a bit of a stretch when compared to actual solitaire games like Ambush, Raid on St Nazaire, Mosby's Raiders, RAF, etc. I enjoyed all those a lot, but have never been into playing 2-player games solo if that requires playing both sides. You might as well say that Chess and Go and Settlers of Catan and any other game designed for more than one player are solitaire games, since, sure, you can play all sides yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
telengard wrote:

Yes, that is what is assumed. As someone new to wargaming, I found this to be totally bizarre, but apparently it's fairly standard. Conflict of Heroes is pretty much my favourite board game, but I don't think I'll ever be playing it solitaire (unless some kind of enemy "AI" is constructed.)

I am new to boardgames as well, but it seemed very natural. It is just like playing solo chess. It is a perfect time to try new strategies and get a feel for the rules. I have also found that CoH works very well for solo play as compared to Tide of Iron and especially Memoir 44. It is pretty much the only game I really enjoy playing solo that I currently own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
...it seemed very natural. It is just like playing solo chess.

Now, now, don't say things like that, you'll confuse russ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use solo play to stimulate the possible enemy progression and it works very well.

BTW, CoH is easier to play solo, because you don't need to use the card deck to play this game compared to ToI and M44.

Honestly, if you want to play a game with good AI, you can choose a solitare war game, like games from DVG, but not a multiple players game and play it solitarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
It is just like playing solo chess. It is a perfect time to try new strategies and get a feel for the rules.

As a Go fan, I sometimes play out Go sequences by myself to study the game and explore strategy/tactics. But that's really not the same as actually playing the game, and I never feel that I am playing the game when I do solo study like that, any more than when I solve Go problems from a book (an activity I do almost daily to improve my Go skills, but which is certainly different from actually playing a game of Go).

And the fact that one can train in a game in this solo way doesn't justify in my mind the dubious marketing of saying the game works for 1. Wouldn't it seem odd to see Chess sold with text on the box saying "A great game for 1 or 2 players!"? I suspect most people would feel a bit misled if they bought Chess thinking that it was going to be an enjoyable solitaire game in the same sense that it's an enjoyable 2-player game. Besides being dubious marketing, it's simply vacuous - you can do this with ANY game. If every game started saying "You can play it with only 1 player" (which they could, in this solo training/practice sense), it would become even harder to figure out which games really are playable solitaire (not just able to have one player intentionally play both sides, as you can do in virtually any game). It would be sort of like marketing every game as playable in less than 10 minutes, because indeed you could do that by simply stopping after 10 minutes had passed... but you're not really getting the full game experience that is intended, just as you're not really getting the full game experience that is intended if you play a 2-player game only with yourself.

Perhaps an analogy is appropriate? It's like using flash cards to memorize language vocabulary and improve my speed of recall - that's a legitimate, useful, perhaps even interesting activity. But it's just practice/training. It's certainly not the same as speaking the language in a conversation with another person or reading a newspaper article in the language. For me, anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian

At the risk of sounding like Billy No-Mates (or Wilhelm Neinfreund).., I play most of my board games solo.

CoH works very well solo, and is excellent for working up some lines of attack/defence and tactics, ready for face to face play.

The problem is, of course hidden units/mines and off-board artillery.

I've developed the following simple system:

You have seven counters all with the same back, for each hidden unit/mine or point for off-board artillery.

One counter is placed on the unit, near to the board in full view of both players.

One of the other six counters is marked with a "X" on the reverse side while the others are left blank.

The six counters are flipped to their same back side, shuffled and then you place them all on hexes you want the unit/mine/artillery to be.

As and when you wish to activate a unit, or as and when the other side would be able to view the unit, or when you want to fire O/B artillery,you flip one of the counters over. If it has the "X" on it, then you place the unit there. If not, you remove the counter.

You'll need different backed counters for each hidden unit/mine OBA, but if like me, you have a lot of redundant games, you'll have no shortage of counters to use. You can even use bits of coloured card cut up to the appropriate size.

It's not a perfect system and not as good as genuine hidden units in face to face, but it's not bad, and simulates that even you as commander do not know exactly where your hidden units may pop up.

If you wanted to, you could use less than six counters for each hidden unit (but always including the one with an "X"!), making it easier for you to know where your unit will appear, and the enemy to attack or avoid it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're on the subject of solitaire play....

The very last rule in the book (I forget the number) talks about reworking the card draw system to promote solitaire play. No-one's mentioned that yet, and I must confess that I don't use it because I couldn't figure out whether it meant:

a) you apply this rule both to you and your 'opponent', or
b) you just apply it to yourself, the solo player

That's probably the dumbest question you'll see on this forum, but - James or Uwe - can you help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
Since we're on the subject of solitaire play....

The very last rule in the book (I forget the number) talks about reworking the card draw system to promote solitaire play. No-one's mentioned that yet, and I must confess that I don't use it because I couldn't figure out whether it meant:

a) you apply this rule both to you and your 'opponent', or
b) you just apply it to yourself, the solo player

That's probably the dumbest question you'll see on this forum, but - James or Uwe - can you help?

My assumption was that it just applied to your 'opponent', but as someone who doesn't do the solitaire thing, I can't say for sure. I'll ask Uwe and see what he says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for cards and hidden units, it is fairly easy to distance myself from the knowledge of what my other player knows in these two situations. I mean even though I know where the hidden units are, it is pretty easy to act like I don't know where they are there, and the same for what cards my other player has. I admit that I didn't really like the solo card rule in the back and I never use it, but my kind of solo play probably wouldn't be satisfying for everyone so it might be more useful for others.

Also when I suggested solo play to work on strategy, I didn't mean that all I do is use it to tweak strategies. I actually have a great time playing solo, and this is one of the few games that actually feels like I am playing the game when I play it solo. I also can agree with others that solo with this game isn't for everyone, but I think for those who want to play the game when no one is around to play with you, solo is a decent option in this game as opposed to a lot of other warsgames on the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Uwe, and here is his response:

"James, I meant it to apply to both sides of the battle. This way a solo player has a great fog of war for himself also. But, one can also play where the solo player takes on one side and plays "against" the other. Then he would get the cards as usual.
Uwe"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James and Uwe:

Gosh, you guys are quick! Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see myself playing solitaire game also. At least not before I am 80.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgg9Dn2ahlM&feature=related

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.