Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions related to collision checks.

1. When rolling for collision checks, I interpret the rules to say that affected cars check after EVERY player's turn in the same round.

For example, if car B moves and ends up next to car A, then A and B each roll once.

|___| |___|
| | A | |
| B |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |
| |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

If car C then moves (same round) and ends up behind A, then C rolls twice, B rolls two more times, and A rolls two more times.

|___| |___|
| | A | |
| B |___| |
|___| |___|
| | C | |
| |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

So the total rolls this round for each are A rolls three times, B rolls three times, and C rolls twice.

Is this right? I think it is, but another player suggested that collision rolls occur only once, after all cars have moved. In that case, All three would just roll twice.

2. When one car ends its turn behind/next to a group of adjacent cars, do they ALL check for collision, or just the ones next to the car that moved? So in the example above, when car C comes up behind car A, C rolls twice (next to A and B), B rolls twice (next to A and C) and A rolls twice (next to C and B). OR is the correct roll C twice, B once, and A once (since car C is the one that moved)?

As another example, cars A, B, and C are all in a row next to each other, and car D ends its turn behind car A:

|___| |___|
| | B | |
| A |___| C |
|___| |___|
| | | |
| D |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

When car D finishes moving, Does D roll once, A roll twice, B roll twice and C roll once? Or is it only D and A who roll? (since B and C are not next to D)? It seems more intuitive to me that they all check, but rules could be interpreted to say that only the moving car and cars it touches roll.

How's everyone else interpreting the rules in these situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
AGKorson wrote:
I have two questions related to collision checks.

1. When rolling for collision checks, I interpret the rules to say that affected cars check after EVERY player's turn in the same round.
You only check for collision after the end of your turn.Or if someone stops next to you. In example below B checks after his turn because he stops next to A, and A checks because B stopped next to him. A checks first, then B.
For example, if car B moves and ends up next to car A, then A and B each roll once.
Correct

|___| |___|
| | A | |
| B |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |
| |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

If car C then moves (same round) and ends up behind A, then C rolls twice, B rolls two more times, and A rolls two more times.
Only partly correct. C rolls twice because he stops next to Both A and B. A and B rolls ONE time each. (They have previously checked for collision with each other. On B`s turn)
|___| |___|
| | A | |
| B |___| |
|___| |___|
| | C | |
| |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

So the total rolls this round for each are A rolls three times, B rolls three times, and C rolls twice.
All roll a total of TWO times each this round.

Is this right? I think it is, but another player suggested that collision rolls occur only once, after all cars have moved. In that case, All three would just roll twice.
As mentioned above, collision checks after the end of a players turn.

2. When one car ends its turn behind/next to a group of adjacent cars, do they ALL check for collision, or just the ones next to the car that moved? So in the example above, when car C comes up behind car A, C rolls twice (next to A and B), B rolls twice (next to A and C) and A rolls twice (next to C and B). OR is the correct roll C twice, B once, and A once (since car C is the one that moved)?
The last is correct. C moved next to A and B and rolls twice. A and B roll once.

As another example, cars A, B, and C are all in a row next to each other, and car D ends its turn behind car A:

|___| |___|
| | B | |
| A |___| C |
|___| |___|
| | | |
| D |___| |
|___| |___|
| | | |

When car D finishes moving, Does D roll once, A roll twice, B roll twice and C roll once? Or is it only D and A who roll? (since B and C are not next to D)? It seems more intuitive to me that they all check, but rules could be interpreted to say that only the moving car and cars it touches roll.
In this case only D and A roll, since those cars are the only ones affected by D`s movement. Collision checks between A and B and B and C would have been done at the end of B and C`s turns.

How's everyone else interpreting the rules in these situations?

Thats how I interpreted these rules. You can also check the advanced rules on page 6. The picture in the bottom right corners describe a similar situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
AGKorson wrote:
but another player suggested that collision rolls occur only once, after all cars have moved.
The other player's suggestion is wrong. Collision checks are made, if applicable, after movement of each car. Each car's movement is entirely independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree that all collision checks are made after each individual car moves.

But I think you're getting the procedure a bit wrong for C and D. When they move, you'll only check for collision for the moving car and not all cars. So when C moves, A and B will only make one roll each while C makes two. When D moves, only A will roll. The other collision checks have already been made, so you you only need to check for those collisions that could occur based on the movement of the car that just moved.

At least, that's my understanding of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the other Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'll have to say I go with Mr. Breiland's interpretation on this one. All cars adjacent have to check regardless of whether or not it's their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, add this to your rulebook:

After each car completes its move (after all slipstreaming has taken place) collision checks occur. The car that just completed its move must make a separate collision check for each car that is directly to the front or to the side of it. Additionally, each other car directly in front or to the side of the just-moved car must also roll for collision once. If the just-moved car finishes its move directly in front of another car, collision checks between those cars are not made.

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed. Realistically and theme-wise, it makes much more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.